Cranberry Bars with Crumble Topping
When it comes to any type of crumble bars, I am hooked. They are easy to take as a treat to a get-together and they are perfect for a simple dessert. This time of year, I like to change it up from the traditional crumble bars and make something that is perfect for Christmas. If you love the sweet-tart taste of cranberries, this is the perfect dessert for you to try.
Can I Freeze This Cranberry Squares Recipe?
If you have extra cranberry squares, you can freeze them. I like to cut them into squares and then freeze them. I layer them in an airtight container with parchment between them. This lets me take out a few at a time instead of having to take them all out.
Ingredients for Cranberry Crumble Bars
- Baking powder
- Unsalted sweet cream butter
- Fresh cranberries
- Unsweetened applesauce
- Pure maple syrup
- Pecan chips
How to Make Cranberry Bars
Preheat the oven to 350 and line a 9*13 baking dish parchment paper.
Using a mixer, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder.
How to Make Crumble Topping
Take the reserved crust mixture and add it over the cranberry filling and top with pecan chips. Now, you will bake the bars for 35-40 minutes or until they have turned a slight golden brown on top.
Other Cranberry Desserts You Will Love…
Cranberry Bars with Crumble Topping
- 2 1/2 C flour
- 1/2 C sugar
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 C unsalted sweet cream butter softened
- 1 large egg
- 6 C fresh cranberries about 3 12oz bags
- 2/3 C sugar
- 1/2 C unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 C pure maple syrup
- Zest of one large orange
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tbsp cold water
- 3/4 C pecan chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a 9x13 baking dish with parchment paper
- Using a standing mixer, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder until combined
- Mix in the butter until crumbly
- Beat in the egg until combined. Set aside about 1 C of the crust to use for the topping
- Press the remaining crust into the baking dish
- Set aside
- Using a large saucepan, combine 3 C of cranberries, sugar, applesauce, maple syrup, orange zest, and salt
- Place saucepan over medium heat, and bring to a boil.
- Gradually mix the cranberries.
- Once cranberries seem soft, reduce the heat to simmer
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and water until combined
- Pour cornstarch mixture into the saucepan and mix until combined.
- Cook for 2 minutes or until cranberry filling is thick
- Mix in the remaining cranberries
- Spread the filling onto the prepared crust
- Sprinkle remaining crust onto the cranberry filling and top with pecan chips
- bake in the oven for about 35-40 minutes or until top is a slight golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before cutting into bars!
Leave a Review!
We LOVE hearing from you! Submit your question or comment here.
Your email address will not be published.
1 thought on “Cranberry Bars with Crumble Topping”
I’ve got a special tender attitude to cranberry: it is my big love. That’s because this berry evokes the best memories of my childhood in the North: I picked them in the woods with my grandparents. It was really lovely up there! I miss those times, so I still can’t be indifferent to cranberry.
Sorry for that long introduction. I’m just trying to emphasize how much I enjoyed these cranberry bars when I made them. This sweet-and-sour taste… Amazing!
I’m definitely in love with these bars now. They touch every heart strings 😀
Thank you for sharing this recipe, Jill! I appreciate your work.
Happy New Year, by the way! 🙂