These Cream Filled Donuts will make you fall in love with the first bite. This amazing fluffy donut recipe with a sweet vanilla cream filling will be great to serve to guests, at work, or enjoy at home. Make homemade brioche donuts for an extra special treat.
Cream Filled Donuts
These brioche donuts are by far one of my favorites with a crispy out shell, light and soft center, and filled with a delicious vanilla filling. These donuts are so rich in flavor and the aroma is phenomenal. This recipe is one of the best donuts recipes to make because of how simple and easy it is to make. This donut can be used as part of breakfast or brunch with Breakfast Pigs in a Blanket or Easy Italian Breakfast Casserole
Ingredients You Will Need:
(full amounts in recipe box below)
- Flour- Use all-purpose flour for the best results.
- Warm Water– This will allow the yeast to dissolve and become frothy.
- Sugar- Every great dessert-style recipe uses sugar as an ingredient.
- Dry Yeast- This will allow the dough to double in size.
- Eggs- These will need to be at room temperature.
- Butter- Use unsalted butter to control the amount of salt in the recipe.
- Rum- This will be added to your batter.
- Salt- this will bring out the flavors in your recipe.
- Milk- You can use whole or 2%.
- Cornstarch- This will help with the consistency of the filling.
- Vanilla Extract- Use pure vanilla for the best flavoring.
How to Make Homemade Donuts
In a large bowl, add the warm water, sugar, and yeast. Combine until the yeast has dissolved. Let rest for about 5-10 minutes until frothy.
Combine the flour, salt, eggs, and rum together and knead using an attachment on your mixer or knead by hand.
Begin to add in the butter cubes slowly to the dough and combine until the dough is smooth and glossy.
Use plastic wrap to cover the bowl and allow the dough to double in size. Place in a draft-free area for about 2 hours.
Use your fist to punch the dough and then, put it into the fridge for 12-16 hours or overnight for best results. ( The dough is far more delicious when left overnight, but if you don’t have the time you can leave this part out).
Slice the dough into 70g portions and form into buns.
Use parchment paper to line a baking sheet, then lightly flour. Place the dough on the baking sheet leaving room between each for proofing.
Use plastic wrap to cover and leave out for an hour to proof or until the dough has doubled.
Add about 2 inches of oil in a heavy cast iron pot and heat to 330-350 degrees.
To begin frying the dough, add in a few at a time and let them fry until they are a golden brown, then flip over. ( 1-2 minutes each side)
Use a spider tool to take the fried donuts out and put them onto a tray with paper towels.
When they are a bit cooled down, put 1/2 c of sugar in a bowl and begin to coat the dough in the sugar, then set aside before filling.
Vanilla Cream Filling:
Combine the sugar, cornstarch, and milk in a large saucepan and mix until smooth.
Stir constantly and cook over medium heat until the mixture becomes thick and starts to boil. Turn the heat down and let simmer for about 1 minute and then, take away from the heat.
Whisk egg yolks and add them to the milk mixture. Put back into the saucepan and heat until it reaches a low boil. Constantly stir and boil for about 2 minutes.
Take away from the heat and combine the vanilla and butter. Mix until smooth and add to a medium bowl. Use plastic wrap to cover the mixture and press on to the surface. Place in the fridge until it is cold.
Add the mixture into a piping bag with a round tip and using a small knife, cut a small hole in the side of the donuts (about 3/4 of the way in). Begin piping in the filling for each donut until it is filled.
Serve and enjoy!
More Donut Recipes
- Baked Lemon Donuts
- Cosmic Brownie Donuts
- Pumpkin Donuts with Buttermilk Glaze
- Baked Apple Pie Donuts
- Mint Chocolate Chip Donuts
What’s the Best Cream Filling for Donuts?
The best filling for this Donut recipe is the one that they use in the recipe. It is simple and easy to make and the flavor dits very well with the donut. All you need is a few ingredients and pipe them into the center of the donuts for a delicious filling.
Do Cream Filled Donuts Need to Be Refrigerated?
This recipe does not have to be placed in the fridge. If the donuts were to have a cream cheese filling, then you would need to so they don’t spoil. But, these can just be placed in an airtight container and left at room temperature.
Cream Filled Donuts Recipe
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup water lukewarm
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 3 eggs room temperature
- 1/2 cup 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature, cut into cubes
- 1 tablespoon rum
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar for coating
- Vanilla Cream
- 1 cup milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine the warm water, sugar, and yeast in a large bowl. Whisk to dissolve the yeast. Leave for 5-10 minutes until foamy.
- Add the flour, salt, eggs, and rum. Knead well using the attachment on your mixer or by hand.
- Slowly incorporate the butter cubes and knead well. The dough has to be glossy and smooth.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm, draft-free place until almost doubled in size, about two hours.
- Punch the dough down. Put in the fridge to chill for 12-16 hours or overnight. (The dough will be more delicious if you leave it to chill overnight. If you don't have the time, leave that part out.)
- Cut the dough into 70g pieces. Shape each piece into a smooth bun and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and dusted with flour. Leave plenty of room between the donuts to proof. Cover lightly with plastic wrap and leave to proof for about 1 hour, or until about doubled in size.
- Heat 2 inches of oil in a heavy pot (cast iron) to 330-350°F. To fry donuts, drop several of them at a time and allow them to become golden before turning to the other side, about 1-2 minutes per side. Remove donuts from the oil with the spider tool and place them on a tray lined with paper towels.
- Once slightly cooled, place 1/2 cup granulated sugar in a dish, roll each donut in sugar, and set aside to cool completely before filling.
- For the vanilla cream, add the sugar, cornstarch, and milk to a large saucepan and mix until smooth. Cook, stirring continuously, over medium heat until mixture begins to thicken and boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Add a little bit of mixture to the egg yolks and whisk together, then add egg mixture to milk mixture. Place the saucepan back on the heat and bring to a light boil. Allow boiling for 2 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Remove from heat, add butter and vanilla. Stir until smooth. Pour into a medium bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and press it directly on the surface. Refrigerate until cold.
- Fill a piping bag with a round tip with the vanilla cream. Using a small knife, cut a hole in the side of each donut about 3/4 of the way into the donut and pipe a generous amount of vanilla cream into the center of the donut.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.