You are going to absolutely love this Creamy Ham and Potato Soup recipe. It is an easy dinner idea that everyone will love. It is perfect for this cold fall and winter night but still delicious during the summer. This is going to become a well-loved soup recipe.
Ham Potato Soup Recipe
This Ham Potato Soup is super easy to put together. For an easy and quick way to have a warm meal for your family in just under a half-hour. The ingredients create such a flavorful soup that you will want to make again and again. Pair this soup with 7 Up Biscuits Recipe (only 4-ingredients) and Cinnamon Honey Butter (only 4-ingredients)
- Butter- This will need to be unsalted to control the amount of salt in the recipe
- Onion- The onions will need to be diced to bite size.
- Carrot- The carrots will need to be diced to bite size.
- Celery- The celery will need to be diced to the bite size.
- Garlic– You can mince your own garlic or buy it from the store.
- Flour– You will use all-purpose for the best result.
- Stock- You will be using a chicken flavor for this recipe.
- Ham- You can use any Ham that you want for this recipe.
- Potatoes- These will need to be peeled and diced into small pieces.
- Salt- This will bring out the flavors in your recipe.
- Pepper- This will be added just for taste.
- Heavy cream- This will add a smooth consistency to your soup.
- Sour cream- This will add richness to the recipe.
- Cheddar cheese– You can buy your own pre-shredded or shred your own.
- Scallion– These will be used for garnish and need to be thinly sliced
How to Make Ham Potato Soup
Add the butter to a large stockpot or dutch oven and place it on medium heat to melt. Put in the onions, carrots, celery, and garlic until the onions become tender and clear, stir every now and then for about 5 minutes.
Put the flour into the pot to coat the veggies. Stir occasionally for another 2 minutes. Gradually pour in the broth and stir while doing so to avoid clumps.
Put in the ham, potatoes, salt, and pepper into the pot and mix. Make sure the potatoes are submerged in the broth will mixing.
You will bring your ingredients to a boil, then reduce the heat, then cover. Let the soup simmer for about 20-25 minutes or until the potatoes are fully cooked.
Add in the heavy cream, sour cream, and cheese, and stir. Cook until the cheese is fully melted. Taste your soup and add seasonings to your preferred flavor. Remove from heat and add more cheese, and scallions on top. This is optional.
What is the Best Ham for This Recipe?
There is no specific ham you need to use for this recipe. It is a great way to use leftover ham or you can buy a ham specifically for this recipe. You can also use ham slices for this ham and potato soup.
Can I Make This Ahead of Time to Freeze?
For this Ham Potato soup, it is best to cook the same time that you prepare your ingredients. Most of these ingredients are quick to prepare. This mostly consists of veggies, ham, potatoes, and broth, so it’s best to prepare on the spot.
More Soup Recipes
- Instant Pot Tortellini Soup Recipe
- Beer Cheese Soup with Garlic Cheese Toast
- Philly Cheesesteak Soup in a Bread Bowl
- Easy Minestrone Soup Recipe
- Italian Wedding Soup
Creamy Ham Potato Soup
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced carrot
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups diced ham
- 4 cups diced potatoes peeled and diced small
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese plus more for serving
- 1 scallion thinly sliced, garnish
- In a large stockpot or dutch oven over medium-low heat, melt the butter. Add the onions, carrot, celery, and garlic and cook until the onions are translucent, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes.
- Add the flour to the pot and stir it in to coat the veggies, let cook for two minutes stirring constantly. Slowly pour in the chicken stock while stirring constantly to avoid lumps. Add the diced ham, potatoes, salt, and pepper to the pot and stir them in, making sure the potatoes are fully submerged. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked through.
- Stir in the heavy cream, sour cream, and cheddar cheese. Continue to cook until the cheese is fully melted. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Take off the heat and serve with more cheese, and scallion for garnish, optional.