The BEST Italian Wedding Soup! This easy stovetop Italian Wedding soup is a family favorite with delicious homemade meatballs, fresh veggies and tiny bits of pasta.
What Is Italian Wedding Soup?
Sometimes you just need a big bowl of soup on a cold day, and this Italian wedding soup is one of our family favorites. This is a hearty soup with meatballs, veggies and pasta with delicious flavor. This soup recipe is a great way to get the kids to eat their veggies. It’s just so good and they won’t even care there are healthy ingredients!
What is Acini de Pepe pasta?
The name Acini de Pepe in Italian means “seeds of pepper.” They are known as a symbol for fertility and that is why they are used in Italian Wedding Soup.
How To Make Italian Wedding Soup
Ingredients You Will Need:
- bread crumbs
- italian seasoning
- olive oil
- chicken broth
- minced garlic
- acini de pepe or orzo pasta
- baby spinach
- To make the meatballs: In a mixing bowl, add the ground beef, ground pork, bread crumbs, egg, Italian seasoning and salt and pepper. Stir until combined. Roll into one inch meatballs.
- In a large pot, heat 1 Tablespoon olive oil in large pot over medium high heat. Add about half the meatballs and cook about 3 minutes per side, turning to brown all over. Transfer to plate. Repeat with remaining meatballs.
- Add the olive oil, diced onion, carrots, celery and garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until tender. Add in the chicken stock, pasta and meatballs. Stir in spinach and allow to wilt. Top with freshly grated parmesan cheese.
Can You Freeze This Soup?
Yes! This is a great soup that can be frozen either into individual sizes or family sizes to reheat. The best way to freeze this soup is with a ziplock bag, plastic or glass Tupperware. It is best to let the soup cool before adding it to the freezer container.
To reheat this soup, it is best to either thaw it by storing it in the refrigerator overnight. Then you will warm the soup back up on the stove or in the microwave before serving.
- I use a combination of beef and pork for the meatballs, which is traditional, but you could use ground turkey or chicken.
- You can cook the meatballs up to 2 days before you plan to make the soup, or also freeze some meatballs for later use.
- This recipe calls for acini de pepe pasta, which are tiny balls of pasta. If you can’t find this variety, you can also use orzo pasta.
More Top Rated Soup Recipes:
Cabbage Roll Soup
Slow Cooker Enchilada Soup
Asian Chicken Noodle Soup
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
Italian Wedding Soup
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1/2 cup fresh white bread crumbs
- 3/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 5 (14.5) ounce cans low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup acini de pepe or orzo pasta uncooked
- 3 cups baby spinach leaves
- shredded parmesan for serving
- Add all meatball ingredients except olive oil to a large mixing bowl. Gently mix until combined. Shape into 1 inch meatballs.
- Heat 1 Tablespoon olive oil in large pot over medium high heat. Add about half the meatballs and cook about 3 minutes per side, turning to brown all over. Transfer to plate. Repeat with remaining meatballs.
- Add 1 Tablespoon olive oil to the same dutch oven and reduce heat to medium low. Add the diced onion, carrots and celery and cook 5 minutes, until softened. Add garlic and cook about 1 minute. Season with salt, pepper.
- Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Add pasta and meatballs to the pot and cook 8-10 minutes, until pasta is tender and meatballs are cooked through. During the last minute of cooking, add spinach and cook until wilted.
- Serve hot, topped with shredded Parmesan cheese.
Leave a Review!
We LOVE hearing from you! Submit your question or comment here.
Your email address will not be published.