Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup is the perfect dump and cook soup that will keep you warm as the weather cools down and it’s healthy to boot!
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup is a quick and easy meal you’ll enjoy making no matter what the weather is, but you will love it even more this January because in addition to being delicious, it is healthy to boot!
Chicken Tortilla Soup is sort of a base soup people love to top with lots of different options. In our house we keep the soup flavors very kid friendly then we make a topping bar for the rest of the family to customize. Here are some add-in ideas:
- Spice it up! Adding a sprinkling of cayenne pepper or some chopped or sliced jalapenos will give you a definite punch of flavor.
- Avocados: Either as slices, diced or guacamole avocados are a great creamy topping for the soup.
- Dairy: Sour cream of course, but even a touch of heavy cream would be delicious. Don’t forget CHEESE!
You can of course leave the chicken out and swap the chicken broth for vegetable broth too. This makes a great vegetarian option. I’ve also grilled steak and sliced thinly or chopped it onto the soup so it stays tender.
- You can start with a small serving of rice in your bowl and pour the soup over it or you can add the rice into the slow cooker. Rice is a natural pairing for the recipe.
- Quinoa: Quinoa would be a really great, healthy, addition to this dish. As with the rice adding in with the ingredients or seperately adding cooked quinoa would be a great option.
- 3 chicken breasts, boneless skinless
- 1 packet fajita seasoning
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cans tomatoes with chilies
- 1 can black beans, rinsed
- 1 can corn, drained
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro, for garnish
- 1 cup tortilla strips, for garnish
- Add all the ingredients except the cilantro and tortilla strips to the slow cooker and mix.
- Cook on low for 6 hours then shred the chicken and cook an additional 20 minutes.
- Serve with cilantro, tortilla strips or your favorite toppings like sour cream and avocado.
Try this other AWESOME Slow Cooker recipe here…