Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup is the perfect dump and cook crock pot soup that will keep you warm as the weather cools down and it’s healthy to boot!
Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
This Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe is a quick and easy meal you’ll enjoy making no matter what the weather is. This delicious tomato and chicken broth base blends perfectly with veggies, shredded chicken, black beans and sweet corn.
Ingredients You Will Need:
- Chicken Breasts – thighs or breast can be used in this recipe.
- Fajita Seasoning – We have a wonderful homemade fajita seasoning recipe here.
- Onion – We use white onion and you can chop it fine or in chunks to your preference. I usually chop onion very fine for the Kids.
- Tomato with Chilies – Rotel is a brand that we usually use.
- Black Beans – You can use any beans. We prefer black beans.
- Corn – canned or fresh can be used.
- Bell Pepper – Red bell pepper is used in this recipe, but green will work just fine.
- Chicken Broth – use your favorite brand.
- Garlic – fresh is always best.
- Bay Leaf – for flavor.
- Cilantro – this is optional.
- Tortilla Strips – we use corn tortillas. You can also break up tortilla chips.
How To Make Chicken Tortilla Soup:
- Add all the ingredients except for the garnish to the slow cooker and mix.
- Cook for 6 hours then shred the chicken and cook an additional 20 minutes.
Tips for Success:
Chicken Tortilla Soup is sort of a base soup people love to top with lots of different options. In our house we keep the soup flavors very kid friendly then we make a topping bar for the rest of the family to customize. Here are some add-in ideas:
- Spice it up! Adding a sprinkling of cayenne pepper or some chopped or sliced jalapenos will give you a definite punch of flavor.
- Avocados: Either as slices, diced or guacamole avocados are a great creamy topping for the soup.
- Dairy: Sour cream of course, but even a touch of heavy cream would be delicious. Don’t forget CHEESE!
You can of course leave the chicken out and swap the chicken broth for vegetable broth too. This makes a great vegetarian option. I’ve also grilled steak and sliced thinly or chopped it onto the soup so it stays tender.
- You can start with a small serving of rice in your bowl and pour the soup over it or you can add the rice into the slow cooker. Rice is a natural pairing for the recipe.
- Quinoa: Quinoa would be a really great, healthy, addition to this dish. As with the rice adding in with the ingredients or seperately adding cooked quinoa would be a great option.
Other Soup Recipes You Will Love
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 3 chicken breasts boneless skinless
- 1 packet fajita seasoning
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cans tomatoes with chilies
- 1 can black beans rinsed
- 1 can corn drained
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro for garnish
- 1 cup tortilla strips for garnish
- Add all the ingredients except the cilantro and tortilla strips to the slow cooker and mix.
- Cook on low for 6 hours then shred the chicken and cook an additional 20 minutes.
- Serve with cilantro, tortilla strips or your favorite toppings like sour cream and avocado.