Easy Homemade Focaccia Recipe
If you love Focaccia, you are going to absolutely love this recipe. You can make this delicious focaccia at home. Use this bread for sandwiches, as a pizza crust or spread your favorite jam, like Instant Pot Cherry Jam Recipe, over it.
Homemade Focaccia Recipe
This recipe is super flavorful and moist. You can easily follow this recipe and it only has a few ingredients. You can have fresh and amazing bread in no time to share with your loved ones. This may become a favorite dish in your household. Be sure to write it down!
Focaccia Bread (makes 8 large slices) Approx. 2 hrs. 15 min. prep and rise time and 25 min bake time.
- Active dry yeast- The yeast will help your bread rise in the oven.
- Granulated sugar- The yeast needs the sugar to rise.
- Water- This water will be warmed and used to activate the yeast.
- Olive oil- Be sure to use extra virgin olive oil.
- Bread flour- You need to use bread flour to get the right amount of gluten in this recipe.
- Sea salt- The salt will bring out the flavors.
- Rosemary sprigs- You should use fresh rosemary for best taste.
- Italian Spice- This will be used for flavor in your dip.
- Garlic powder- This will be mixed in for taste for the dip.
How to Make Homemade Focaccia Recipe
Use a 10×15 inch cake pan and spray evenly with non-stick spray.
Mix the yeast, sugar and water together in a large bowl until it becomes foamy after about 5 mins.
Add in the oil and mix.
Then, add in the salt and flour and mix well. While still mixing, add in the remaining flour until it forms a soft and non gooey dough.
Place the dough on a floured counter and knead well until smooth for about 10minutes. You can also use an electric mixer to knead.
Add oil to a large bowl and add the dough and coat it in the oil. Cover the dough and let it rest and rise for about 1 1/2 hours until it doubles.
When risen, shape into a rectangle to fit the pan. Put in the pan and push till all sides meet the edges.
Place a damp towel over it and let it rise for another 45 minutes.
Use fingers to push in dips in the dough over the entire surface. Push till you almost touch the pan.
Then, repeat with towel and let rise for an additional 45 minutes.
Set your oven to 425 degrees.
Place the rosemary on each dip and drizzle 4 tbsp. of oil on top too. Let the oil run into each dip. Add desired amount of salt on top.
Put in the oven and spray the sides and bottom with water as the steam will help the crust develop.
After 5 minutes, spray the sides and bottom of it again and bake for another 20 minutes until light brown. Take out and place on cooling rack
For your dip add all ingredients in a small bowl and whisk for dipping.
How Long is Focaccia Good?
You want to seal your bread correctly in an airtight container. Focaccia doesn’t last too long though as a stored Focaccia only lasts about 2 days. Although a little after that time the flavor is quite delicious. It will lose its crispiness of the crust and not have the same texture. Since there are no preservatives in this homemade focaccia recipe, it will not last as long as store bought.
What Other Variations Can I Add to This Recipe?
There are many varieties you can add all depending on what you like. You can add in things like cheese or veggies to any bread you make. The more varieties of ingredients the more flavor you will sink your teeth into.
More Bread Recipes
- Amish White Bread Recipe (4-ingredients)
- Beer Bread Recipe (3-ingredients)
- Homemade Honey Oat Bread Recipe
- Homemade White Bread Recipe
Homemade Focaccia Recipe
- 2½ tsp active dry yeast 1 envelope
- ½ tsp granulated sugar
- 1 c water warmed to 95-105 degrees
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3½ c bread flour
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil for sprinkling on top
- ¾ c fresh Rosemary sprigs
- 2 tsp sea salt to sprinkle on top optional
Ingredients for Dip
- ½ c. Olive Oil
- 1 tsp. Italian Spice
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- Whisk all ingredients in a small bowl for dipping.
- Spray an approx. 10x15 inch cake pan with a non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the yeast, sugar and water. Let sit until foamy (about 5 min)
- Stir in 3 tbsp. olive oil.
- Add the 2 tsp. salt and ½ of the flour and stir until mixed. Continue stirring and add in enough of the remaining flour to form a soft but not sticky dough.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and satiny (about 10 minutes.) Can knead in mixer with a dough hook if desired.
- Oil a large bowl and place dough into it, turning once to coat top with oil. Cover and let rise in a warm area until double (about 1½ hours.)
- When doubled, roll dough into a rectangle to fit the size of your prepared pan. Place dough in pan and push it into the corners with your fingertips.
- Cover pan with a damp towel and let rise for about 45 minutes until not quite doubled.
- After risen, use your fingertips to push dimples into dough, across the entire surface. Push fingers deep into the dough, almost to the pan.
- Cover with the damp towel and let rise for another 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- After rising, place sprigs of the Rosemary into each dimple. Sprinkle 4 tbsp. olive oil across the top, allowing the oil to run into the dimples. Sprinkle with the sea salt if desired.
- Place pan into oven. Spray sides and bottom of the oven with water (the steam helps develop the crust of the bread).
- After 5 min. of baking, spray oven again and continue to bake for about 20 minutes until golden brown. Remove to wire rack to cool.