Apple Pie Bites are a sweet little treat when you don’t want to bake a whole pie! Tart apples dipped in butter and rolled into crescent rolls filled with fragrant apple pie spice, sweet brown sugar, and crunchy pecans; you will love these incredibly easy to make pastries.
Apple Pie Bites
We love apple pie, of course! But sometimes you just want the warm apple pie flavor without the work of making the whole pie. These apple pie bites are a perfect treat to go with dinner, to enjoy on a picnic, or for a snack just because.
These little apple-filled pastries are so easy to make because we used ready-to-bake crescent rolls. They always bake up perfectly and have a nice, mild flavor that works so well with the apples, brown sugar, and other ingredients in this recipe.
If you love apple recipes, be sure to also check out this wonderful Mexican Apple Pecan Salad!
Ingredients You Will Need:
- Granny Smith apple
- Brown sugar
- Apple pie spice
- Crescent roll dough
The full list of ingredients and recipe instructions are below in the recipe card.
How To Make Apple Pie Bites
We love a delicious easy recipe, and this one certainly is just that! To begin, melt the butter in a small bowl. Cut the apples into 8 wedges and remove the core with a knife. Toss the apples in the melted butter and set aside. We just left the apples sitting in the butter.
Chop up the pecans into small pieces. Combine the brown sugar and apple pie spice.
Open the package of crescent rolls and lay the triangles out on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
Top each triangle with the brown sugar mixture and the pecans.
Place one of the butter coated apple slices on each crescent roll at the wide end of the triangle.
Roll the crescent roll up around the apple slices. Brush the top of the rolls with the remaining melted butter.
Sprinkle the top of the rolls with extra apple pie spice.
Bake the rolls at 375ºF for 10-12 minutes until golden brown. Some of the filling does ooze out during the baking, and that is fine; the parchment paper makes for easy clean up.
Cool the rolls a little bit before serving so they are not too hot inside.
I Don’t Have Apple Pie Spice
If you don’t have apple pie spice on hand and don’t want to buy a jar just for this recipe, that is okay. You can make your own! Just combine 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg, 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice, and just a dash of either ground ginger or ground cloves.
If you also don’t have the ingredients to make apple pie spice, you can simply use cinnamon as the spice in this recipe. The Apple Pie Bites still taste wonderful with just cinnamon!
The Apple Didn’t Get Soft Enough
When you make the Apple Pie Bites according to the recipe (below), the apple will be warm and softened, but not very soft like in a traditional apple pie. We loved the texture of the apple, but some may wish the apple was completely soft. Of course, just 10-12 minutes of baking time is not enough to really soften the apple slices and baking longer would result in burned crescent rolls. So if you really want the apples to be very soft, here’s what you can do:
- Slice the apples into 8 wedges as instructed in the recipe.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of butter in a small frying pan over medium heat until melted.
- Add the sliced apples to the pan in a single layer and pan fry for 1-2 minutes per side until the apples begin to soften. Do not overcook or they will turn to mush!
- Remove the apples from the pan and cool to room temperature.
- Use the cooked apple slices in the recipe instead of the raw apple and continue the recipe as directed.
Do I Have to Leave the Skin on the Apples?
No, you can certainly peel the apples if you don’t think you will enjoy the texture of the apple skin.
Other Apple Desserts You Will Love
Apple Pie Bites
- 1 small Granny Smith apple
- 3 tablespoons butter melted
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice (or cinnamon) plus additional for sprinkling
- 1 8-ounce can crescent roll dough
- 1/3 cup pecans chopped
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Cut the apple into 8 wedges and remove the core.
- Pour the melted butter into a bowl, then add the apple slices and toss to coat. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar with the apple pie spice. Set aside.
- Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper. Open the can of crescent roll dough and separate the triangles. Lay the triangles out flat on the prepared baking sheet.
- Top each triangle of dough evenly with the brown sugar mixture and chopped pecans.
- Place one wedge of apple on its side on the wide end of each dough triangle. Roll the dough around the apple.
- Brush each roll with the remaining melted butter and sprinkle with a small amount of apple pie spice or cinnamon.
- Bake at 375F for 10-12 minutes until golden brown. Cool slightly before serving.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.