Easy Homemade Lemon Sugar Cookies
When you want the best lemon sugar cookies, you have to make this recipe. These Easy Lemon Sugar Cookies are simple to make and taste amazing. Bursting with lemon flavor, these delicious cookies are one of our favorites. Make them for parties, get together or a bake sale. Make them just because they are delicious and you need that lemon burst.
Love lemon? Then you need to try Lemon Bars Recipe with Shortbread Crust (6-ingredients)
Easy Lemon Sugar Cookies Recipe
Lemon cookies are special because they are sweet and tangy and the combination is one of the best when it comes to cookies. These lemon sugar cookies are fantastic, you might need to make a double batch because they will disappear fast.
- All purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Unsalted butter
- Granulated sugar
- Vanilla extract
How to Make Lemon Sugar Cookies from Scratch
Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
In a large bowl, cream together the butter and 1 cup of sugar. Add the lemon juice, vanilla, and the egg. Add the lemon zest of 2 lemons and mix until it is incorporated.
Gradually, add in the flour mixture, mixing well between each addition, until it is well combined.
In a small bowl, mix together the 1/2 cup sugar and the zest from the 3rd lemon.
Using a cookie scoop, form the cookie dough into tablespoon sized balls and roll in the sugar and lemon mixture.
Place 2 inches apart on the cookie sheet.
Bake the cookies for 10-11 minutes, until the tops are no longer wet looking and cracks start to form.
Allow the cookies to cool for 5 minutes on the cookie sheet before transferring them to a cooling rack or wax paper.
Store in an airtight container.
Can I Freeze This Lemon Cookie Dough?
Cookie dough is great to freezer. It takes the work out of having fresh baked cookies. When you want to make a batch of these lemon sugar cookies, make a double batch. Then with the dough from the second batch, you can freeze it as a whole batch or you can scoop and roll the cookies and then freeze them as cookie dough balls.
Do I Have to Use Fresh Lemon for Lemon Cookies?
The lemon sugar cookies taste best with fresh lemon because you need the lemon zest as well as the lemons but it can be made with lemon juice concentrate or lemon extract. You will skip adding lemon to the sugar mixture the cookies are rolled in because adding liquid with chance the consistency of the sugar and the cookies will not be able to be rolled in it.
Easy Lemon Sugar Cookies Recipe
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 sticks 1 cup unsalted butter - softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Lemon zest from 3 lemons separated 2 lemons + 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar for rolling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a larger bowl, beat the butter and 1 cup sugar until the mixture is combined and light in texture. Pour in the lemon juice, vanilla and add in the egg. Add in the lemon zest from 2 lemons and mix until just combined.
- Slowly add in the flour mixture, mixing between each addition, until both mixtures are well combined.
- In a small bowl, mix together the 1/2 cup sugar and the zest from the 3rd lemon.
- Using a cookie scoop, form the dough into tablespoon sized balls and roll in the sugar/lemon mixture. Place on the cookie sheet 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 10-11 minutes, until the tops are no longer wet looking and cracks start to form. Allow the cookies to cool for an additional 5 minutes on the cookie sheet and then transfer to a cooling rack or wax paper.
- Store in an airtight container.