If there is one recipe that you need to know for the Holidays, it’s Eggnog. This Eggnog recipe is a super easy and made with egg yolks, sugar, heavy whipping cream, spices, vanilla, and milk. We have a spiked version for adults or a kid-friendly version without alcohol.
Homemade eggnog is MUCH better than store-bought so definitely give this recipe a try. There has never been a Christmas or Thanksgiving where eggnog hasn’t been present. It’s a sweet, creamy, and delicious drink. “Some say “nog” comes from “noggin,” meaning a wooden cup, or “grog,” a strong beer. By the late 18th century, the combined term “eggnog” stuck” according to Time Magazine.
What is Eggnog?
Eggnog (aka Milk Punch) is a mixture of milk, egg and spices traditionally served during the holidays. Eggnog is usually served cold, but some may choose to heat it. People often spike their eggnog with brandy or rum, as well as such spices as nutmeg and cinnamon. If you are wanting the adult version, check out our popular White Russian Eggnog.
Key Ingredients You’ll Need
Egg Yolks: You will combine these with sugar, heavy whipping cream, and milk to get that super creamy texture.
Spices: Use ground nutmeg and cinnamon to add flavor along with salt to bring them out. Add a bit of vanilla for additional flavor.
How To Make Eggnog
Step 1. Add the milk, heavy cream, nutmeg, and cinnamon into a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Frequently combine the mixture with a whisk until just boiled. Add the egg yolks and sugar into a large bowl and whisk to combine. Slowly add in a couple of Tbsp of sugar at a time whisking between each addition. Add 1/2 cup of the hot cream to the egg mixture and combine with a whisk. Continue adding and whisking after each addition. When 3/4 of the cream has been added, place it back into the saucepan.
Step 2. Cook the mixture until it reaches 160 degrees over medium heat. Whisk continuously while also using a spoon to scrape the sides of the pan. Take off the heat and add in the vanilla. Combine until slightly thick. It will thicken more as time passes. Add into glasses and sprinkle cinnamon on top. Serve and enjoy!
We recommend these for the best flavors:
- Whiskey or bourbon
Mix them up or choose one, whatever you prefer. Add the amount listed in notes with the recipe box below to the full batch or desired amount to individual glasses.
Variations For This Recipe:
I love this drink because it’s very versatile in that fact that you can change the flavor:
- Feel free to flavor it differently by adding pumpkin spice or just cinnamon or vanilla without the additional spices.
Tips & Tricks
- Using freshly ground spices taste the best with a homemade recipe like this.
- Make this ahead of time and store in the fridge for up to 3 days
- Place the leftover eggnog in an airtight container for the best storage method.
More Eggnog Recipes:
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar granulated
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg ground
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- pinch salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- cinnamon Ground for topping
- alcohol (optional – see notes below)
- In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat combine milk, heavy cream, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Whisk frequently bringing mixture ALMOST to boiling.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl whisk together egg yolks and sugar. Gradually add sugar a couple of tablespoons at a time whisking thoroughly before each addition.
- Using a ladle add about 1/2 cup of the hot cream mixture to the egg yolk mixture; whisking thoroughly. Keep adding the hot cream; whisking thoroughly between each addition. When most of the hot mixture has been combined with the egg mixture (about 3/4 of it) pour it back into the saucepan.
- Cook on medium heat until the mixture reaches 160 degrees F; whisking constantly and also making sure to use a spoon for the edges of the pan.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the vanilla. The mixture will be slightly thickened but will thicken more as it cools.
- Pour into glasses and lightly dust the top with cinnamon.
Spiked EggnogChoose your favorite or mix them together for the full batch.
- 2 Tbsp Whiskey or bourbon
- 2 Tbsp Rum