This Old Fashioned Five Cup Salad is a simple blend of Mandarin Oranges, crushed pineapple, sour cream, shredded coconut, and mini marshmallows and it’s absolutely delicious.
Quick & Easy Fruit Salad
This yummy fruit salad is so sweet, sour, tangy, and just like Granma used to make. All you need to do is combine the ingredients, chill, and enjoy with any dinner. You can also have it as a dessert or treat when you are craving something sweet and tasty.
This is similar to our popular Ambrosia Recipe, but a few changes – still just as delicious!
Key Ingredients You’ll Need
- Fruit: You will need a combination of mandarin oranges, crushed pineapple, and shredded sweetened coconut.
- Sour Cream: This will make the salad cool, smooth, and creamy. Adding some mini marshmallows with help with the volume.
How To Make Five Cup Salad
- Step 1. Open and drain the oranges in a colander. Do the same with the pineapple and juice, but drain over a container with a lid. You can use the excess juice for drinks or sauces. In a medium-sized bowl, add the oranges, drained pineapple, sour cream, coconut, and marshmallows and combine.
- Step 2. Use cling wrap to cover and place in the fridge to chill fully for 4 hours. Take it out and mix it right before serving. Enjoy!
Variations For Five Cup Salad
I love this recipe because it can be served with any meal at any time. You can also use some of the suggestions below to alter it to your liking.
- You can keep or remove any ingredients you don’t like or switch them out with other fruits that you like.
- I like using fruit-flavored mini marshmallows, but regular ones work fine too.
- You can use crushed or chunks for the pineapple.
Tips & Tricks
- Place any leftovers in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator.
- Two recipes that tend to get confused with each other is this five-cup fruit recipe and Ambrosia. But they are different! Ambrosia contains cool whip and maraschino cherries along with possible other ingredients like bananas and nuts like pecans or walnuts. This recipe does not contain those ingredients.
More Fruit Salad Recipes:
Five Cup Salad
- 1 cup/small can Mandarin Oranges drained
- 1 cup Pineapple crushed, in heavy syrup – or chunks if preferred – drained
- 1 cup/ 8 oz. container Sour Cream
- 1 Cup Sweet Coconut Shredded
- 1 cup Marshmallows Mini
- Open the Can of Mandarin Oranges, and drain in a colander. Open the can of Pineapple and drain the heavy syrup into a container with a lid – save the syrup for drinks, or sauces.
- Place the Oranges in a medium size serving bowl, and add the drained Pineapple, Sour Cream, Shredded Coconut, and Mini Marshmallows. Stir well to mix.
- Cover with Cling Wrap, and place the Salad in the refrigerator for about 4 hours to completely chill. Before serving, remove from the refrigerator and stir well to blend. Serve and enjoy!