Fall Fruit Salad is a jam-packed recipe full of apple pie spice, pecans, and fruit like apples, cranberries, grapes, oranges, and lemons with a delicious apple spice dressing. A favorite Thanksgiving side dish.
Thanksgiving Fruit Salad
This is a refreshing salad that has all the flavors of Fall in it. This Thanksgiving recipe is so simple to make and you only need a handful of ingredients for the salad as well as the dressing. Every bite is a taste of Fall! The sweet, slightly sour, and delicious flavors combine together so well. Anyone who gives this recipe a try will fall in love!
Key Ingredients You’ll Need
Fruit: You will need a blend of green apples, red apples, dried cranberries, grapes, navel oranges, and lemons. You will also be needing the zest and juice for the oranges and the zest of a lemon for the dressing.
Pecans: I prefer using pecans for a nutty flavor, but you can try other types.
Apple Pie Spice: This will really give the salad its Fall flavor with some sugar for sweetness! You could also try pumpkin pie spice with this recipe.
How To Make Fall Fruit Salad
Step 1. Set the oven to 350 degrees. On a baking tray, add the pecans and while the oven is preheating, put the sheet in. When you start to smell the pecans which should be around the time it’s fully heated, take them out of the oven and allow them to cool. Add the orange juice, sugar, apple pie spice, zest of 1 lemon, and zest of 1 orange into a small saucepan and combine with a whisk over medium heat. Allow the mixture to come to a low boil for about 3-4 minutes. Pour the mixture into a fine mesh strainer and allow it to cool thoroughly.
Step 2. Prep the apples by coring and slicing them into bite-sized pieces. Toss the apples in 1/2 of a lemon to keep them from browning. Remove the peel off the orange and slice it into small pieces. Add the apples, dried cranberries, toasted pecans, grapes, and oranges into a large bowl and combine. Pour the dressing onto the fruit and toss to fully coat until incorporated. Serve and enjoy!
What Kind Of Nuts Taste Best In Fall Fruit Salad?
I love this salad recipe with chopped, crushed, or whole pecans. But, you can add other nuts like peanuts, walnuts, or cashews. Each type will add a nutty flavor to the recipe that we will all come to know and love.
What Substitutions Or Additions Can I Make?
If you want to make substitutions, you can replace the green apples with some diced pears. You can also add pomegranate seeds or other forms of seeds.
How To Store Fall Fruit Salad?
Place the fruit mixture in an airtight container for the best storage method. You will want to store this recipe in the fridge. This recipe can keep for up to 2 days in the fridge. I wouldn’t recommend freezing because the fruit will have an off taste.
More Salad Recipes:
Fall Fruit Salad
- 2 medium green apples
- 2 medium red apples
- ¾ cup cranberries dried
- 1 cup pecans
- 1 cup grapes
- 3 medium naval orange
- 1 medium Lemon
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place pecans on a baking sheet and place them in the oven while it’sheating up. Remove pecans from the oven when you can smell them, about the sametime the oven is fully heated. Remove from the oven and cool.
- In a small saucepan, mix orange juice, sugar, apple pie spice, zest of 1 lemon, and zestof 1 orange. Place over medium heat. Whisk to combine. Bring to a low boil and simmerfor 3-4 minutes. Strain in a fine mesh strainer and cool completely.
- Core and slice apples into bite-sized pieces. Toss apples with juice from half a lemon toprevent browning.
- Cut the peel off the orange and cut it into bite-sized pieces.
- In a large bowl, mix apples, dried cranberries, toasted pecans, grapes, and oranges.Drizzle dressing over the fruit and toss to combine.