Ambrosia Salad Recipe
Ambrosia Salad is my all time favorite side dish to make for potlucks, parties, cookouts, or any gatherings. This creamy fruit salad also makes a nice, refreshing dessert any day of the week. Best of all, this recipe can be whipped up in 15 minutes or less!
What is Ambrosia?
Ambrosia is super easy to make creamy fruit salad with marshmallows and always a hit at family gatherings. This delicious fruit salad recipe contains crushed pineapple, mandarin oranges, grapes, maraschino cherries, whipped topping, marshmallows, and shredded coconut. For those of us from the South, Ambrosia Salad Recipe is a staple side dish at most gatherings.
Ambrosia Salad Ingredients
- Mandarin Oranges – this recipe uses canned mandarin oranges, but you can use fresh orange slices if that is all you have.
- Pineapple Tidbits – also canned for this, but can also use fresh.
- Green Grapes – fresh green grapes are cut in half for this fruit salad. Red grapes will also work.
- Maraschino Cherries – The addition of maraschino cherries is a favorite of mine personally, but can also be optional if you prefer to leave them out. The cherries also make this salad look pretty when serving.
- Sweetened Coconut Flakes – the coconut flakes add a nice texture to this fruit salad.
- Mini Marshmallows – my kids favorite part of this salad are the marshmallows.
- Sour Cream – the sour cream will give a nice flavor to this recipe.
- Cool Whip – the Cool Whip balances the sour cream nicely for a sweetened cream to complement the fruit.
- Pecans (optional) – we love chopped pecans in this dessert salad, but you can also leave this out if you prefer.
How To Make Ambrosia
- Drain all fruit ingredients in a colander.
- To make Ambrosia salad, carefully fold all the ingredients together.
- Chill, preferably overnight which allows for the mallows to soak up any extra liquid.
Can I Substitute Pecans other Nuts?
Absolutely! Try chopped almonds or walnuts. You can also omit them if needed.
How Long Does Ambrosia Salad Last?
This Ambrosia Salad with Cool Whip and Sour Cream can last up to 7 days. Cover it tightly with plastic wrap and store it in the fridge. This is a great salad to make-ahead for company.
- I have always used Cool Whip and sour cream in my Ambrosia recipe, but have also made this with just sour cream (leaving out the Cool Whip) and adding a bit of granulated sugar. The salad will definitely not be as sweet this way or as creamy, but will work just fine if you do not have the Cool Whip on hand.
- Greek Yogurt can be substituted for the Sour Cream.
- This ambrosia salad recipe is so versatile, you probably have all the ingredients in your pantry. There are lots of substitutions you can use for fruit, nuts, etc.. Add in what you prefer.
- Add some sprinkles on top when servings for the kids…
Other Side Salads You Will Love
- 1 11 ounce can mandarin oranges
- 1 20 ounce can pineapple tidbits
- 3/4 cup fresh green grapes halved
- 5 ounce jar maraschino cherries stems removed
- 3/4 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 8 ounces Cool Whip light is fine
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans optional
- pinch of salt optional
- Pour the mandarin oranges, pineapple tidbits, and cherries in a large colander that is in the sink.
- Once they are well drained, cut the cherries in half. Cut the green grapes in half. Chop the pecans (if using).
- In a large salad bowl, add the drained fruit. Then add the cut grapes, coconut, marshmallows, pecans, sour cream and cool whip. Add a good pinch of salt (optional) and gently mix the salad until everything is well incorporated.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve and top with a couple of cherries if desired. Can be made up to 7 days in advance.