With a smooth, creamy texture and rich chocolate flavor, this French Silk Pie recipe is sure to become a favorite. A homemade Oreo crust and easy whipped topping turn it into a show-stopping dessert perfect for any occasion.
The Best French Silk Pie Recipe
I recently realized that though I’ve shared my recipe for French silk brownies, I’ve never shared my recipe for the classic pie. And that wouldn’t do, because this chocolate dessert is a real treat! Smooth, creamy, and delightfully decadent, this truly is the BEST French silk pie recipe!
The recipe begins with a simple, two-ingredient Oreo crust and then moves on to the mousse-like filling, made with cooked eggs, bittersweet chocolate, and heavy whipping cream. The light texture almost melts in your mouth!
Once the pie chills overnight, add an easy whipped topping and you have a show-stopping dessert ready to share! This is one of those desserts you’ll soon find yourself making for every holiday as it gets requested again and again. It’s just that good!
Why You’ll Love This Chocolate Silk Pie
If you love rich, decadent desserts, this pie will quickly become one of your favorites. Here’s why!
- Smooth, creamy texture. There’s a reason this is called “silk pie” after all! The filling all but melts in your mouth.
- Rich chocolate flavor. Between the easy Oreo crust and the bittersweet baking chocolate, this silk pie recipe is filled with a decadent chocolate flavor in every bite!
- Great for making in advance. This is definitely not a quick recipe but the great thing is, you can do all the work a day or two in advance for a no-stress holiday or event!
What You’ll Need
To make this chocolate silk pie recipe, you’ll need Oreos, baking chocolate, and pantry staples like butter, sugar, and heavy whipping cream. Be sure to check the recipe card below for measurements.
For the Crust
- Oreos – Crushed Oreos form the rich, chocolate crust for this pie.
- Butter – Melted butter holds the Oreo crumbs together. I used unsalted.
For the Filling
- Granulated sugar
- Eggs – Unlike many traditional silk pie recipes, the eggs in this recipe are cooked, not left raw.
- Baking chocolate – I used bittersweet but you can also use semi-sweet for a less intense flavor.
- Vanilla extract
- Unsalted butter – It should be at room temperature, not melted or chilled.
- Powdered sugar – Sweetens the filling a bit and adds a smooth texture.
- Heavy whipping cream – Gives shape to the chocolate filling.
For the Topping:
- Heavy cream – The base of our homemade whipped topping.
- Powdered sugar – Sweetens the topping.
- Vanilla extract – For just a bit of flavor.
How to Make French Silk Pie
This decadent chocolate pie does require several steps and a bit of time but it’s worth every second! Plus, it’s not particularly difficult either. Just be sure to read the directions carefully and allow time for each step.
- Make the crust. Pulse the Oreos into fine crumbs, then add the butter and pulse until well combined. Transfer to a pie dish sprayed with non-stick spray. Press evenly in the bottom and up the sides. bake for 10 minutes, then allow to cool completely.
- Cook the eggs. Whisk together the sugar and eggs over medium-low heat, whisking constantly. The mixture should be able to coat the back of a metal spoon.
- Add the chocolate. Microwave the chocolate in a glass bowl in 30 second intervals, until melted and smooth. Be sure to whisk between each interval. Add the chocolate to the cooked eggs and sugar, then add the vanilla. Mix until smooth then cool, stirring often.
- Beat the butter. While the chocolate mixture is cooling, beat the butter until light and fluffy. Slowly mix in the cooled chocolate. Beat on high for 5 minutes, until light and fluffy.
- Beat the heavy cream. In a separate, clean bowl, beat the heavy whipping cream until it thickens, then add in the powdered sugar. Beat until stiff peaks form.
- Combine the ingredients. Fold the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture.
- Chill. Transfer the filling to the pie dish. Refrigerate for at least 6 hours.
- Add the topping. Beat the topping ingredients until stiff peaks form, then add to the top of the pie. Finish with chocolate shavings if desired. Enjoy!
Tips for Success
Here are a few tips for making the best homemade French silk pie.
- Be sure the sugar melts completely. When whisking the eggs and sugar together, make sure that the sugar melts all the way before you remove it from the heat. Otherwise, the mixture will be grainy.
- Take care to not scramble the eggs. The key to the sugar and egg mixture is to keep the heat low and to whisk constantly. Otherwise, you can end up with sugary scrambled eggs.
- Use quality chocolate. Chocolate is key to French silk pie so it’s essential to use good quality baking chocolate. Chocolate chips will not work in this recipe.
- Make sure the ingredients cool. It’s important that the egg/sugar/chocolate mixture cools to just a slightly warm temperature before you add it to the heavy whipping cream. Otherwise, it can cause the filling to curdle or just soften the whipping cream.
- Add the topping just before serving. Wait to add the whipped topping until just before serving, for the best results.
Does French Silk Pie Contain Raw Eggs?
Some traditional French silk chocolate pie recipes do contain raw eggs. However, in this recipe, the eggs are cooked with sugar, so there are no raw eggs. This French silk pie recipe is perfectly safe to eat (except for the risk of wanting a second slice!)
As mentioned above, wait to add the whipped topping until just before serving. I also like to add some chocolate curls or shavings for a stylish finish.
Be sure to keep the French silk pie refrigerated until serving, so that the filling stays stabilized and chilled. Then slice and enjoy!
How to Store Leftovers
- Fridge. Chocolate French silk pie should be stored in a pie container or other airtight container (or covered with plastic) in the fridge. It will last for up to 3 days.
Can I Freeze French Silk Chocolate Pie?
Yes, you can freeze French silk pie. However, I recommend doing so before adding the topping. Prepare the pie as directed, allow to chill overnight in the fridge to set, then wrap tightly with plastic. Freeze for up to 3 months, then thaw overnight in the fridge. Add the whipped topping and enjoy!
More Chocolate Pie Recipes:
- Quick & Easy Chocolate Pie
- Kentucky Derby Chocolate Pie
- Double Chocolate Pie
- Decadent Chocolate Buttermilk Pie
French Silk Pie
- 25 oreos
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Spray a 9 inch deep pie dish with pan spray.
- Place whole oreos in a food processor and pulse until the oreos are fine cookie crumbs.
- Add in the melted butter into the food processor and pulse a few times until oreos and butter are well combined.
- Place mixture in the pie dish and press into the bottom and up the sides.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk sugar and eggs together. Cook on medium-low heat, whisking constantly, until mixture coats the back of a metal spoon.
- Melt bittersweet chocolate (in a glass bowl) in the microwave at 30 second intervals mixing between until melted. Be sure not to overheat chocolate. Chocolate is still melting when you are mixing.
- Once the sugar and eggs mixture is cooked, add melted chocolate into the mixture. Add in vanilla and mix until smooth. Cool to warm stirring often.
- While the chocolate is cooling, using a mixer, beat the butter until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes). Gradually add in the cooled chocolate while mixing with the mixer. Beat on high speed for 5 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- In a clean bowl, beat the whipping cream with your mixer until it starts to thicken. Add in powdered sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Fold in whipping cream mixture to the chocolate mixture. Make sure it is mixed well.
- Pour mixture evenly into the pie dish. Refrigerate pie for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Beat together whipping cream, powdered sugar and vanilla with an electric mixer on high until stiff peaks form.
- Place on top of pie mixture filling.
- Top with chocolate shavings if desired.