These Frosted Lemon Cookies are the sweet and tangy dessert of your dreams. These soft and delectable cookies are the perfect treat. With a delicious lemon sugar cookie combined with a delicious lemon cream cheese frosting and lemon curd.
The Most Amazing Lemon Cookies
Sugar cookies are one of my favorites. Everything about them is perfection and I love that I can customize a basic recipe and add different flavors. These cookies are a sugar cookie base with a delicious pop of lemon. Then I top them with lemon cream cheese frosting and a delicious lemon swirl. You can not go wrong with these cookies.
Key Ingredients You’ll Need
Lemon Sugar Cookies
Butter: It is best to use unsalted butter for this recipe. Using unsalted butter will give you control of the flavoring in the recipe. This will allow the rawest and natural flavor to come out in the recipe.
Granulated Sugar: In addition to adding a sweeter flavor to a cookie recipe. Granulated sugar caramelizes and absorbs moisture which overall improves the texture and flavor of the cookie.
Eggs: When making cookies, you always want to use room-temperature eggs. It gives the best texture to cookies.
Lemon Extract: Lemon Extract is used not only to add an aroma to the recipe but also to enhance the flavor as well for a sweeter and more delicious recipe.
Flour: All-purpose flour is best to use. However, if you are using self-rising flour, you would eliminate the baking powder.
Baking Powder: Baking powder will help the cookies rise in the oven. This will make your cookies light and fluffy.
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
Cream Cheese: Use softened or room temperature cream cheese to allow ingredients to blend more easily. Using cream cheese in your frosting will enhance the flavor and give it a more fluffy and delectable texture.
Powdered Sugar: This is the best sugar to use when needing a frosting with a smooth consistency.
How To Make Frosted Lemon Cookies
Step 1. Set the oven to 350 degrees and use parchment paper to line two cookie sheets. Add the butter, sugar, eggs, lemon zest, lemon extract into a large bowl and combine until smooth.
Step 2. Add the flour and baking powder into a medium bowl and combine.
Slowly combine the wet and dry ingredients until it forms a dough.
Step 3. Form the dough into a ball using a large ice cream scooper. Use pam baking spray to grease a flat-bottomed cup. Gently press each cookie ball into a thick disk. Continue until all the cookies are pressed.
Step 4. Arrange the cookies onto the prepared pans and set them into the oven for 11 minutes one tray at a time. Take out and allow the cookies to cool thoroughly.
Step 1. Add all the frosting ingredients into a standing mixer except the lemon curd and combine until thick and creamy.
Step 2. Add the frosting into the piping bag and begin making a spiral on top of the cookies. Add the lemon curd into a piping bag and slice the tip-off. Fill in the space between the spirals with lemon curd.
Let set before serving and enjoying.
How To Store Lemon Cookies?
Place the recipe in an airtight container to place in the fridge. This recipe uses a cream cheese frosting, so it will need to be chilled or frozen. Storing in the freezer will allow the recipe to last even longer.
Does This Recipe Use Real Lemons?
No, this recipe doesn’t use real lemons. The recipe uses lemon extract to add flavor and aroma to the cookies. There is also a lemon curd in this recipe as well to add flavor.
More Lemon Recipes:
- Lemon Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Easy Homemade Lemon Sugar Cookies
- Lemon Thumbprint Cookies
- Lemon Snowball Cookies
Frosted Lemon Cookies
Lemon sugar cookie:
- 1 cup butter – unsalted softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp pure lemon extract
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 3 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1 cup butter – unsalted
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- 1 cup lemon curd
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper
- Using a large bowl, beat together the butter, sugar, eggs, lemon zest, lemon extract until combined and smooth
- Using a medium bowl, whisk the four and baking powder together until combined
- Gradually beat into the wet ingredients until a dough forms
- Using a large ice cream scooper, scoop out dough into your hand and roll it into a ball
- Spray the bottom of a flat cup with pam baking spray
- Press the cup into the dough ball and gently flatten it into a thick disk
- Repeat steps with remaining dough
- Bake 1 tray at a time in the oven for about 11 minutes
- Remove and allow to cool completely
- Using a standing mixer, beat all ingredients except the lemon curd until combined, creamy and thick
- Scoop into the piping bag
- Pipe a spiral onto the top of the cookies
- Scoop the lemon curd into the piping bag and cut the tip-off
- Fill in the space between the spiral lines of the frosting with the lemon curd
- Allow the frosting to set before enjoying!
- 1 large piping bag with a large round tip
- 1 disposable piping bag