Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Casserole is one my favorite dinner recipes. It’s cheesy, full of flavor and really easy to make. Your family will love it!
Casseroles are a dinner staple at my house. It’s one of the easiest meals to get on the table quick. We listed our favorites down below.
Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Casserole
This recipe takes just 7 simple ingredients. It’s a different version of our popular white chicken enchiladas recipe. The top ingredient is the green chilies – this is where most of the great flavor comes from. I love green chiles so much because they add a mild spice and have lots of great health benefits with 0 calories.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Chicken. You can make your chicken at home and cut into cubes, or buy pre-made.
- Tortillas. For this recipe you’ll need small corn tortillas.
- Cream Cheese. One block, softened. Go ahead and leave this out for about half an hour before making dinner.
- Monterey Jack Cheese. Shredded.
- Sour Cream.
- Green Chilies. These come diced and ready to go in a tiny can in the Mexican food aisle at the grocery store.
- Green Enchilada Sauce. One can.
How To Make Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Mix. Use a mixer to beat together the cream cheese, sour cream and green chilies. When it’s mixed, stir in chicken.
- Layer. Spray a 9×13 baking dish and pour a thin layer of sauce. Then line it with a layer of tortillas. Next, the chicken mixture. Then, cheese. Then, more sauce. Repeat.
- Bake. Cover with foil and bake the casserole about 45 minutes. Then take the foil off and bake for another 15 minutes. It’s ready with the cheese is totally melted.
How Long Is This Good For?
You can keep the left-overs in the fridge for 3-4 days after making. This is a recipe that is REALLY good as a left-over!
Can You Freeze Chicken Enchilada Casserole?
If you want to freeze this (this can be a great make ahead meal) cover it well and place in the freezer uncooked. When you’re ready to make it, defrost it completely and then bake as instructed.
More Casserole Recipes To Try
Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas
- 4 to 5 cups cooked chicken cubed
- 28 ounces green enchilada sauce
- 8 ounces packaged cream cheese softened
- 7 ounces chopped green chiles
- 1 cup sour cream
- 25 ounces corn tortillas
- 4 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 9×13 casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat together the cream cheese, green chiles, and sour cream until blended. Stir in the chicken.
- Create layers in the casserole dish, beginning with enough enchilada sauce to coat the bottom, and then layers of tortillas, chicken mixture, cheese, and sauce. Repeat at least once.
- Cover and bake for 45 minutes. Uncover and continue baking for an additional 15 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the edges bubble.