This recipe for sweet and sticky Honey Garlic Chicken Thighs is sure to be a new family favorite. It’s super easy to make using a crock pot! Most of the work involved is adding your ingredients to your slow cooker and waiting for it to be ready. Serve this mouthwatering dinner over rice or any way you like.
Crock Pot Honey Garlic Chicken
Many recipes for honey garlic chicken thighs are made on the stovetop. I love any chance I can get to use my slow cooker because it saves so much time. You prepare it earlier in the day and it’s ready to go by dinnertime. It’s perfect for busy weeknights – especially when you have kiddos. School and work are exhausting so why leave yourself more work to do when you get home?
This recipe for Honey Mustard Chicken and Potatoes is also an easy recipe and similar to this one as it is made with a sweet and tangy sauce. It is cooked and baked in the same pan, which takes minimal effort. However, it is perfectly normal to want to spend the least amount of time in the kitchen after a long day.
What You’ll Need to Make These Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs
- Chicken thighs – You can use boneless but you will have more tender chicken if you choose bone-in and skin-on.
- Soy sauce – This gives the sauce a deep savory flavor.
- Ketchup – Sweet and acidic flavor that is key!
- Garlic – Minced or grated is best.
- Honey – This adds the sticky sweetness – make sure it’s liquid honey.
- Ginger – This gives the meal a subtle kick.
- Cornstarch and water – Added at the end to thicken the sauce.
How to Make Honey Garlic Chicken Thighs
- Prepare your Crockpot. Spray your pot with cooking spray or add a little bit of oil to prevent sticking.
- Add Your Ingredients. Add chicken, soy sauce, water, ketchup, garlic, honey, and ginger to the slow cooker.
- Cook. Cook on high for 2-3 hours or low for 4-5 hours. Use a thermometer to check the internal temperature of your chicken. It must be at least 165 degrees F before you move on to the next step.
- Remove the Thighs. Take out the fully cooked chicken thighs and set them aside.
- Make a Slurry. Mix the cornstarch and water together and pour slowly into the slow cooker. Whisk until incorporated.
- Keep Cooking. You want the cornstarch to cook down and thicken the sauce for an additional 10-15 minutes.
- Add the Chicken Back. Return the chicken thighs to the crockpot and baste them with the sauce.
- Serve and Enjoy. Garnish with chopped green onions and sesame seeds then serve.
What is a Slurry?
Slurries are made to thicken sauces and soups after they have been made. Unlike a roux, all you need is equal parts cornstarch and cold water. Mix them together until they form a paste. Whisk the paste into your sauce until fully incorporated and cook until it thickens. It’s really that simple!
Here are some of our favorite ways to serve honey garlic chicken thighs.
- White rice. Traditionally, this dish is served over white rice. It’s the perfect side to enjoy with the sweet and savory sauce.
- Veggies. Steamed broccoli, carrots, or green beans are great options for a veggie side dish.
How to Store and Reheat any Leftovers from Honey Garlic Chicken Thighs
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Be sure to store the chicken and honey garlic sauce separately from the sides.
To reheat, you can use a microwave-safe bowl or container and microwave on high for 2-3 minutes, stirring halfway. If the sauce becomes too thick, add a tsp of water.
More Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes
Looking for more ways to cook chicken in your slow cooker? Here are some of our best recipes!
- Slow Cooker Tropical Chicken
- Slow Cooker Butter Chicken
- Crockpot Chicken Alfredo
- Slow Cooker Queso Chicken Tacos
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
Honey Garlic Chicken Thighs (Slow Cooker)
- 4 medium-sized chicken thigh, skin and bone in you can use boneless too
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup ketchup can sub with passata or tomato sauce
- 3 teaspoons garlic minced or grated, pressed
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 teaspoon ginger grated
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch + 2 tablespoon water to make a slurry
- Sesame seeds and green onion/scallions for serving
- Spray a 4 quart slow cooker/crock pot (you can use larger too) with cooking oil and place all the ingredients except cornstarch + water.
- Cook for 2-3 hours on HIGH or LOW for 4-5 hours. Check the chicken for doneness, thermometer should register 165 F.
- Remove the chicken thighs and leave the sauce in the cooker.
- Make cornstarch slurry (3 tbsp cornstarch + 2 tbsp water). Slowly pour into cooker and whisk until incorporated into the sauce.
- Let cook for 10-15 minutes on the HIGH setting until the sauce is thickened nicely.
- Return the chicken and baste with the sauce. Serve with sesame seeds, green onions.
Leave a Review!
We LOVE hearing from you! Submit your question or comment here.
Your email address will not be published.