Relish is one of the most classic toppings for hot dogs and this recipe for Easy Hot Dog Relish is sweet and zesty. It’s simple to make and worth the time and effort instead of picking up a jar of relish at the grocery store.
The Best Recipe for Hot Dog Relish
This recipe is made using pickles, peppers, and various seasonings. It’s so well-balanced and tastes fresher than store-bought relish, Plus, the pickles keep some of their crunch which adds a pleasant texture. The roasted red peppers add a delicate sweetness along with a little sugar which pairs well with the sour dill pickles.
If you are planning some cookouts this summer, you should make homemade hot dog relish. I promise it will blow everyone away and they will be asking you to make it every year! (Some may even ask where you got the recipe). The sweet, heat, and tangy combination goes perfectly with ketchup, mustard, and of course, those yummy hot dogs fresh off of the grill.
You can also add our Hot Dog Chili for even more flavor!
What You’ll Need
There are not a lot of ingredients needed to make a delicious hot dog relish. For exact amounts, scroll down to the recipe card.
- Dill Pickles: Slices or spears are fine because they are going to be chopped.
- Roasted Red Peppers: You can buy them whole or sliced in a jar. Drain before adding to the food processor.
- Onion: A small one is perfect. Yellow or white is best. If you’d like to use red onion that is fine but I haven’t tried it so I’m not sure about the result.
- Mustard Seed
- Celery Seed
- Dried Dill
- Crushed Red Pepper
- Pickle Juice
How to Make Relish For Hot Dogs
This recipe is easier than ever! Once all of your ingredients are chopped, mix them with the spices and refrigerate.
- Drain Pickles. Drain all of the pickle juice from the pickles except for 4 tbsp. Set it aside.
- Chop Ingredients. Add pickles, red peppers, and onion to a food processor. Pulse until chopped into very small pieces and then pour it into a small bowl.
- Add Seasonings. Stir in mustard seed, celery seed, dill, crushed red pepper, pickle juice, and sugar until thoroughly mixed.
- Refrigerate. Store in a mason jar or an airtight container and place in the refrigerator to marry the flavors for at least an hour.
- Enjoy. Serve with hot dogs!
Tips and Tricks
These are some things that I have learned and tried after making this hot dog relish recipe many times.
- Use sweet pickles or spicy pickles for a different flavor if you prefer. You can even try a combination of different kinds of pickles.
- Add fresh dill for a bolder dill flavor.
- The ingredients can be chopped by hand if you don’t have a food processor.
- Enjoy it with sandwiches or hamburgers, too.
- Leave out the crushed red pepper if you want to skip the heat.
What to Serve With Hot Dog Relish
Besides hot dogs, there are other ways to enjoy this yummy relish! I highly recommend hamburgers, especially Bacon Wrapped Avocado Burger Bombs. The relish cuts through the richness and adds a sweetness and tangy element!
Sandwiches are great, too. Add it to a Brisket Grilled Cheese Sandwich or the copycat Arby’s Beef and Cheddar Sandwich. It’s a wonderful alternative to just pickles!
How to Store Leftovers
Extra hot dog relish can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will stay fresh for up to 5 days. I don’t recommend freezing leftovers. It will change the taste and texture.
More Condiments and Sauces to Try
Hot Dog Relish
- 24 Ounce Jar Dill Pickle Slices or Spears
- 1/2 cup Roasted Red Pepper Strips Drained
- 1 Small Onion Cut Into Pieces
- 1 Tablespoon Mustard Seed
- 1 Tablespoon Celery Seed
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Dill
- 1 Teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper
- 3-4 Tablespoons Pickle Juice
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- Drain the pickles and reserve 4 tablespoons of the pickle juice.
- To a food processor, add the pickles, roasted red peppers and onion. Pulse until chopped small. Transfer to a bowl.
- To the bowl, add the mustard seed, celery seed, dried dill, crushed red pepper, pickle juice and sugar. Stir until mixed through.
- Transfer the relish to an airtight container such as a mason jar, cover and let refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving to allow the flavors to come together.
- Serve with hot dogs and enjoy!
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
The crushed red pepper can be left out of the recipe if desired.
If you don’t have a food processor, the ingredients can be chopped by hand.
Serve with hot dogs, hamburgers or sandwiches.
The pickle relish can be stored in an airtight glass container such as a mason jar for up to 8-12
Leave a Review!
We LOVE hearing from you! Submit your question or comment here.
Your email address will not be published.