Did you know that you can make perfect smothered hamburger steaks in your slow cooker? This Slow Cooker Salisbury Steak recipe is an easy way to enjoy classic comfort food. The mushroom gravy is thick, rich, and delicious!
Easy Salisbury Steak Recipe
I remember my mom making Salisbury steak for dinner a lot. She would spend a lot of time cooking at the stove. She would make a delicious mushroom gravy and buttery mashed potatoes to complete the meal. It was one of my favorites! I like to call this version a shortcut because it uses a dry gravy mix. The secret though is the onion soup mix in the hamburger steaks. It adds so much flavor.
Even though I enjoy cooking, some days I just want a break. Being able to make a yummy dinner in the crock pot not only gives me more time to do other things, but it makes the whole house smell like hamburger and gravy. It’s amazing! The only real step of cooking is browning the hamburger steaks before putting them in the crock pot – which is quick and easy.
Ingredients You’ll Need
There are very few ingredients needed to execute this crock pot Salisbury steak recipe. It’s also inexpensive making it a great addition to your weekly dinner rotation. Full amounts in the recipe box below.
- Ground Beef: I like to use at least 80% lean.
- Onion Soup Mix: Keep this dry!
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Steak Seasoning
- Bread Crumbs
- Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Brown Gravy Mix
- Parsley: Freshly chopped for an optional garnish.
How to Make Slow Cooker Salisbury Steak
Don’t worry, there’s minimal work for this meal! Once all of the ingredients are prepped, they go right into the crock pot and cook together. It’s so simple.
- Step 1. Prepare your ground beef mixture by mixing the ground beef, onion soup mix, Worcestershire sauce, steak seasoning, egg, and bread crumbs in a large bowl. Make sure that all of the ingredients are well incorporated and then divide it into 4 equal-sized patties.
Step 2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the patties for about 2-3 minutes on each side. They do not need to be cooked through, this is just for color. They will finish in the slow cooker.
Step 3. Remove the patties from the skillet and place them in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Step 4. Mix the cream of mushroom soup, water, and brown gravy mix in a medium bowl. Use a whisk to be sure that it’s well combined and smooth. Pour the gravy mixture over the hamburger steaks.
- Step 5. Cover the pot with the lid and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6 hours.
- Step 6. Garnish with fresh parsley and enjoy with your favorite side dish!
Tips and Tricks to make the perfect Slow Cooker Salisbury Steak
- Ground Meat: This recipe calls for lean ground beef but you can substitute it for ground turkey instead if you prefer.
- Breadcrumbs: You can use plain or Italian style. I don’t recommend panko breadcrumbs because they are too coarse and don’t mix in as well.
- Soup: Don’t like mushrooms? Swap the cream of mushroom soup for cream of onion or cream of chicken.
- Veggies: If you like, add sliced onions and mushrooms. They add even more texture and depth of flavor.
How to Store and Reheat Leftover Salisbury Steak
Leftover smothered hamburger steaks can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will last up to 3 days. It can be reheated in the microwave on a microwave-safe plate.
What to Serve With Slow Cooker Salisbury Steak
Here are some suggestions for side dishes that pair well with this recipe.
More Slow-Cooker Dinners to Try
- Slow Cooker Brisket
- Slow Cooker Turkey Corn Chowder
- Crockpot Chicken Alfredo
- Slow Cooker Beef Stew
- Mississippi Pot Roast
Slow Cooker Salisbury Steak
- . In a large bowl combine the ground beef, onion soup mix, worcheshire sauce, steak seasoning, egg and bread crumbs.
- Mix well and divide into 4 patties.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat brown the patties 2-3 minutes on each side until they are browned.
- Remove from pan and place into the bottom of your slow cooker.
- In a bowl combine the cream of mushroom, water and brown gravy mix.
- Pour the gravy mix over the burgers.
- Cover and cook on low 6 hours or high 4 hours.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
- You can use ground turkey if you like.
- You can use cream of onion soup or even cream of chicken soup if you don’t prefer mushrooms.
- You can add sliced onions and mushrooms to the slow cooker as well.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days.