Do you need a delicious meal to enjoy on these upcoming chilly Fall and Winter nights? We are reaching seasons where cold weather is frigid and icy against our skin. This Instant Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe will be a perfect addition to a night where it’s just a little too cold and you need something to make you feel cozy and warm up.
Instant Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup
This Instant Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe has the perfect set of ingredients, that will create a great burst of flavor that will just melt in your mouth. This creamy soup is super easy to make and your friends and family will love to share this with you after making memories during the day. I love to serve this soup with some fresh bread like Amish White Bread Recipe (4-ingredients) or Homemade White Bread Recipe
- Broccoli- You will need to use the small florets and discard the stems.
- Carrots- You will need to have the carrots diced.
- Onion- You will prepare the onions by chopping them.
- Powdered garlic- This will add a great garlic aroma to your soup recipe.
- Paprika- The paprika will add a bit of spice to your soup.
- Spicy mustard- The mustard will add more flavor and spice to the recipe.
- Butter- You will use unsalted butter to control the amount of salt in the recipe.
- Flour- You will use all-purpose flour for the best results.
- Chicken stock- This is the base of the soup. You can also use vegetables.
- Half and half- You can use milk as a substitute (whole or 2%)
- Velveeta cheese- You will need to dice your cheese into cubes.
- Shredded cheddar- This will be added onto the top of your soup.
- Black pepper- This will be added for additional taste.
How to Make Instant Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup
You will need to switch your Instant Pot to ‘SAUTE’ and melt the butter. Once melted, put the onion, carrots and garlic inside. You will need to sauté for about 1 minute or until tender.
Turn down the heat and add in the flour. Mix continuously and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
In 2-3 batches, add in the stock and stir until there is no clumps. If you use a whisk, it will help more.
Put in the seasonings, mustard and then, deglaze the sides and bottom of IP.
Switch the pot off and put in the broccoli and stir.
Seal the IP and then for 1 minute, cook on high pressure.
Add in the half and half, you can use room temp or warm in the microwave.
Stir everything until well combined and sauté on low. Then, bring to a simmer.
Turn off the IP right away, once the soup starts to simmer.
Then, dice your cheese and in 2-3 batches, add the cheese into the IP and mix until completely melted and combined.
Top with your choice of shredded cheddar, broccoli, hot sauce, sour cream, chives, etc.
Serve and Enjoy!
What Goes with Broccoli Cheese Soup?
There are a few things that you can put with this Broccoli Cheddar soup. You can add things to your recipe, more veggies or even some type of meat if your choose. You can serve with sides such as bread or salad.
What Cheeses Go In Broccoli Cheese Soup?
There are many varieties of cheeses that you can use in this Broccoli Cheese Soup. You can use whatever cheese that you want to use. However, in this recipe Velveeta is your best choice because it is so creamy and makes the perfect consistency for this soup. I do like to top the soup with shredded cheddar.
More Instant Pot Soup
- Instant Pot Tortellini Soup Recipe
- Instant Pot Coconut Chicken Curry Soup
- IP Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Instant Pot Potato Soup
Instant Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 8 cups broccoli, small florets/discard the stems
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 tsp powdered garlic
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp spicy mustard
- 8 tbsp butter, unsalted
- 8 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 4 cups half and half
- 4 cups velveeta cheese diced
- shredded cheddar
- black pepper
- broccoli, finely diced broccoli florets
- In instant pot on saute setting, melt butter. After it is melted, immediately add the onion, carrots and garlic. Saute approximately 1 minute or until onion is soft.
- Reduce heat to low and add flour. Stir briskly and saute for 30 seconds.
- Add chicken stock in 2-3 batches stirring well so there are no lumps. Using a whisk helps with this.
- Add the seasonings and mustard and deglaze the pot sides and bottom .
- Turn off the pot and add the broccoli florets and mix well.
- Close and seal instant pot. Cook on high pressure for 1 minute.
- Add room temperature or warm (heat in microwave) half and half. Do not add cold.
- Mix everything well and saute on low. Bring soup to a simmer.
- Immediately turn off instant pot once soup begins to simmer.
- Add cheese in 2-3 batches and stir well until cheese fully melts and combines into the soup.
- Serve with toppings of your choice, such as shredded cheddar, chopped broccoli, hot sauce, sour cream, chives….