Ricotta Cookies are a classic Italian dessert that is a light and fluffy treat that will leave you wanting more. These cookies are perfect for any occasion, and they’re sure to please everyone!
Italian Ricotta Cookies
You’re going to love our new Ricotta Cookies. They’re the best cookies you’ve ever had! The secret ingredient is ricotta cheese, which gives them a rich flavor that you can really sink your teeth into. And because they’re so soft and chewy, it feels like you’re eating something decadent even though they don’t contain any butter or oil at all!
What do Ricotta Cookies taste like?
Ricotta cookies can be made with all sorts of different flavors. However, this recipe uses ingredients like vanilla and lemon to make a tangy, but sweet flavor.
Important Ingredients You Will Need to Make Holiday Ricotta Cookies
- Lemon Zest- This adds the perfect amount of tang to the cookies. It brings out the flavor and takes these cookies over the top.
- Ricotta Cheese- Don’t worry, these cookies will not taste like cheese. The ricotta adds flavor and moisture to these cookies but doesn’t give it a cheese flavor. Ricotta cheese doesn’t have a strong flavor on its own and it is covered completely with the sugar and lemon zest.
How to Make Ricotta Cookies
Step 1- Dry Ingredients.
Set the oven to 350 degrees and use parchment paper to line two cookie sheets. Add the flour, baking soda, and salt into a medium bowl, and combine.
Step 2- Wet Ingredients.
Add the butter, sugar, lemon zest, eggs, and vanilla into a standing mixer and beat until creamy and smooth. Add in the ricotta cheese, and combine, until fully incorporated. Slowly combine the dry and wet ingredients until it forms a smooth dough.
Step 3- Baking.
Form the cookie dough balls using a small cookie scoop and roll them with your hands. Arrange the balls onto the prepared cookie sheets, two inches apart (at least 12 per pan).
Put the pans in the oven for 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden brown. Take the cookie sheets out of the oven and set them on the counter to cool before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Continue this process until all the dough has been used.
Step 1- Combining the Ingredients.
Add all of the icing ingredients except the sprinkles into a medium bowl, and combine until smooth.
Step 2- Icing the Cookies.
Coat the top of the cookies with the prepared icing and shake off the excess, gently. Set the coated cookies onto a wire rack and top with sprinkles. Set aside to harden, serve, and enjoy!
How to Decorate Ricotta Cookies?
You can decorate these cookies however you see fit. Although for this specific recipe, the cookies are topped with a layer of frosting and Christmas sprinkles.
Can Italian Christmas cookies be frozen?
Yes, these Italian Christmas cookies can be placed in the freezer. Place the cookies in an airtight container and if you need to layer them separate each layer with parchment paper to keep them from sticking together.
More Christmas Cookies:
Italian Ricotta Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper
- Using a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, kosher salt
- Using a standing mixer, beat the butter, sugar, lemon zest, eggs, and vanilla until combined, creamy and smooth
- Beat in the ricotta cheese until combined
- Gradually beat in the dry ingredients until combined and a soft dough forms
- Using a small cookie scoop, scoop some dough onto the cookie sheets about 2 in apart
- Once trays have a minimum of 12 cookies, place in the oven and bake for 10 – 12 minutes or until lightly brown
- Remove and place on the counter to cool
- Once cookies are cooled, place onto a wire rack
- Repeat steps until all the dough are baked
- Using a medium bowl, whisk all ingredients, except the sprinkles, together until smooth and combined
- Dip the top of the cookies into the icing and gently shake the excess off
- Place cookies back onto the wire racks and sprinkle some Christmas sprinkles on top
- Allow the icing to harden before enjoying the cookies