Crispy and perfectly seasoned, these Baked Zucchini Fries are a healthy alternative to traditional French fries. Ready in just a few minutes with no oil or frying required!
Easy & Healthy Zucchini Fries
This zucchini fries recipe is one of our absolute favorites! Super crispy parmesan-herb breading on the outside with tender zucchini on the inside. No oil involved here – you just don’t need it. These healthy zucchini fries turn out amazingly crisp right out of the oven and are always such a huge hit with everyone that tries them.
We’ve loved making healthier alternatives to traditional fried foods like our Baked Fried Green Tomatoes, Avocado Fries, Air Fryer Jalapeno Bacon Cheese Balls, and Baked Mozzarella Cheese Sticks and these zucchini sticks are no exception.
We have been enjoying our zucchini in every way, but these oven fried zucchini sticks are something extra special. I highly encourage you to keep this recipe close by for the summer months when the garden is exploding with zucchini!
What You’ll Need
You’ll need just a few ingredients to make these healthy zucchini fries. See the recipe card below for measurements.
- Zucchini – As I mentioned, this is a great way to use extra zucchini from the garden.
- Flour – For coating the zucchini.
- Parmesan cheese – Grate your own if you can. The flavor will be much better!
- Seasonings – I use a simple combination of garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper to add flavor to this dish.
- Eggs – For the egg wash that helps everything adhere to the zucchini.
- Breadcrumbs – Since we’re adding spices, regular unseasoned breadcrumbs are ideal.
How To Make Baked Zucchini Fries
Here’s how to make these crispy zucchini fries in the oven.
- Prepare the zucchini. Cut off the ends of the zucchini, then cut it in half width-wise. Cut each half into even-sized sticks.
- Dredge the zucchini. Combine the parmesan, Italian, and seasonings with the flour in a bowl. In another bowl, whisk the eggs. Place the breadcrumbs in a third bowl. Coat the zucchini spears in the flour, then dip them into the eggs, and finally coat in the bread crumbs.
- Bake. Place the breaded zucchini on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 18 to 22 minutes, until golden brown and crisp. Rotate halfway through baking.
Baked Zucchini Sticks Tips and Variations
Here are a few tips for making crispy zucchini fries, as well as a few easy variations.
- Don’t crowd the baking sheet. For best results, bread the zucchini in two batches so the crumbs don’t clump up.
- Adjust the serving size. The recipe is written for four servings, but you can easily make this for one or two servings by simply cutting the recipe in half or in quarters.
- Can I make dairy-free zucchini fries? Yes, just swap the parmesan cheese for more breadcrumbs.
- Can I make a gluten-free version? Sure. Just use gluten-free flour and swap the breadcrumbs for gluten-free seasoned crumbs.
Zucchini fries make a great snack, appetizer, or side dish. They’re a great alternative to regular french fries when served next to chicken nuggets, burgers, hot dogs, or even a French dip sandwich.
I like to serve these with ranch dressing or marinara sauce for dipping, though they are great on their own too. My kids insist on dipping them in ketchup!
How to Store Leftover Zucchini Fries
Baked zucchini fries are best enjoyed hot and fresh from the oven. As they cool, the breading will become soft instead of crispy and the zucchini will release moisture when refrigerated.
That said, they’re still tasty reheated – even if they don’t have the same texture. You can store the leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
I highly recommend reheating them in the oven instead of the microwave to regain some of the crispiness.
More Tasty Zucchini Recipes:
- Crispy Zucchini Fritters
- Buffalo Chicken Zucchini Boats
- Cranberry Lemon Zucchini Bread
- Summer Squash Casserole
Crispy Baked Zucchini Fries
- 3 medium zucchini
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or spray the sheet with cooking spray.
- Add the flour to a bowl. Set aside.
- Cut the ends off the zucchini then cut them in half widthwise. Cut each half into sticks.
- Add grated Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper to breading and stir in.
- Working in batches, dredge zucchini in the flour mixture, dip into eggs, then dredge in bread crumbs, pressing to coat.
- Place zucchini onto prepared baking sheet and spray with cooking spray. Bake for 18-22 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp. Turn the zucchini fries over half way through baking.
- Serve immediately.
Leave a Review!
We LOVE hearing from you! Submit your question or comment here.
Your email address will not be published.
2 comments on “Crispy Baked Zucchini Fries”
Tried this delicious recipe, my family loved it! I used my mother-in-laws French fry cutter to make the fries, it worked great. So easy to make and with an abundance of zucchini it used up three. I’ll definitely make this again and again, thank you. @kitchenfunwithmy3sons or tag #kitchenfunwithmy3sons!
This looks amazing, thank you going to give it a try tonight.