These easy Unicorn Cookies are both delicious and adorable. With pastel colors and fun sprinkles, they are perfect for any party. They are buttery and soft on the inside with a crisp outside. Your kids are going to be blown away!
Unicorn Sugar Cookie Recipe
Homemade sugar cookies are my favorite. This recipe is simple and uses everyday ingredients, making it perfect for any occasion. I love baking with my kids, and these unicorn cookies are easy and fun to make, so they enjoy helping out.
Themed parties are popular, and of course, these unicorn sugar cookies are great for a unicorn-themed party! The versatile color scheme would work for a mermaid or princess-themed party, too.
What You’ll Need
This may be a quick and easy sugar cookie recipe, but I promise it’s so tasty! Besides your basic ingredients for the cookie dough, you just need food coloring and your favorite sprinkles for decorating.
- Unsalted Butter: You will need the butter to be softened for these cookies so I recommend taking out your butter from the refrigerator about 30 minutes before you are ready to start making the cookie dough.
- Granulated Sugar: I use extra when rolling out the cookies.
- Vanilla Extract: The authentic vanilla flavor makes such a difference. If you can, use pure vanilla over imitation.
- Flour: All-purpose flour is used here.
- Salt: Baked goods need salt too, and these cookies only require a pinch.
- Sprinkles: Rainbow sprinkles, pearls, or other shapes or colors will work great.
- Gel Food Coloring: Pink, yellow, blue, purple – whatever desired colors remind you of unicorns!
How to Make Unicorn Cookies
Making this unicorn cookie recipe is a great way to spend time with your little ones. It’s fun for everyone to make these!
Prepare the Oven. First, you will want to preheat your oven to 325 degrees F. This way it will be hot and ready when the cookie dough is set to be baked.
Beat Butter and Sugar. Then, set up your stand mixer with a paddle attachment. At medium-high speed, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. It should take approximately 2 minutes.
Mix Dry Ingredients. Whisk the flour and salt together in a separate bowl and set it aside.
Add Vanilla and Flour. Set your stand mixer to medium-low speed. Add the vanilla and a third of the flour mixture. Once incorporated, slowly add the rest of the flour and mix until just combined. A soft dough should form once all of the ingredients are mixed
Color the Dough. Divide the dough into 4 equal balls. Next, knead the gel coloring into each ball – one color for each one.
Form the Cookie Balls. Add a small amount of each color to a cookie scoop to make a 1-inch ball. Roll it gently with your hands to make sure all of the dough sticks together to form one cookie.
Get the Cookie Dough Ready. Grease your baking sheet with non-stick spray or line it with parchment paper. Roll each cookie dough ball in the extra sugar and then place them 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet.
Shape and Decorate. Use a drinking glass to press down each cookie dough ball into a disc gently. Top them with sprinkles.
Time to Bake. Bake for about 10 minutes. The edges of the unicorn cookies should start to brown when they are ready.
Cool and Serve. Transfer them to a wire rack to cool before enjoying!
Tips and Tricks
- Do not overmix the cookie dough to prevent tough cookies. This will keep them soft and chewy.
- When combining the different colored cookie doughs, gently press them together. You don’t want the colors to blend together when they are baked, they will be a swirl of the colors.
- The gel color is very concentrated, so a little goes a long way.
- Dip them in a cookie glaze before adding the sprinkles for a sweeter cookie.
- Want even more magic? Dust the cookies with edible glitter after they are baked!
How to Store Leftover Unicorn Cookies
These unicorn sugar cookies will stay fresh for up to 3 days in an airtight container, when stored at room temperature.
You can also freeze these cookies as well. Store them in a freezer bag for up to 3 months. Thaw at room temperature before eating.
More Easy Cookie Recipes
- Fluffernutter Cookies
- Lemon Crinkle Cookies
- Chocolate M&M Cookies
- Homemade Dunkaroo Cookies
- Stained Glass Cookies
- Preheat the oven to 325°
- In a stand mixer, beat butter and sugar together on medium-high speed until light and ﬂuffy with the paddle attachment for about 2 minutes.
- Whisk together the ﬂour and salt and set aside.
- Add the vanilla extract to the bowl, followed by about a third of the ﬂour mixture, and mix on medium-low until all the flour is incorporated and the cookie dough is formed.
- Divide the dough into 4 balls.
- Knead gel color into each ball.
- Using a cookie scoop add a bit of each of the 4 colors of dough into the scoop and carefully form the dough into 1" balls by gently rolling them together with your hands.
- Roll cookie balls in sugar and then place the cookie balls about 2 inches apart on a baking sheet. Use a glass to press the cookies down into a disc shape.
- Add sprinkles to the top of the cookie discs.
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until the edges begin to lightly brown.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool and enjoy!