Jalapeno Coleslaw is a spicy and refreshing take on a classic side dish. It’s crunchy, tangy, sweet, and has a kick from the fresh jalapenos. Make it for your next family barbecue and it will become a new favorite.
Easy Jalapeño Coleslaw Recipe
Coleslaw is a classic side served with grilled foods such as Chicken Skewers, hotdogs, or burgers. There are several homemade recipes for coleslaw, but this is one of my favorites. I love spicy food, but not the kind where you feel like your mouth is on fire. This jalapeno coleslaw recipe is balanced with sugar, vinegar, jalapenos, and mayo. It has some sweetness, tang from the vinegar, creaminess, and a nice kick. Even if you have some daily members who don’t enjoy spice, I encourage you to ask them to try this!
Not only is spicy coleslaw a great accompaniment to a delicious barbecue lunch, but it’s also a great topping as well! It can jazz up an ordinary hotdog or your favorite sandwich. It stays nice and crunchy even after some refrigeration so it adds wonderful texture to any dish.
What You’ll Need For Jalapeno Coleslaw
These are the ingredients to make the coleslaw and homemade dressing. See the recipe card below for exact measurements and directions.
- Green Cabbage
- Purple Cabbage
- Red Onion: I like the onion sliced really thin but you can also dice it if you prefer it that way.
- Carrots: You will need the matchstick cut for this recipe.
- Jalapeños: Fresh and diced with the seeds and membranes removed.
- Green Onions: Only slice the green parts.
- Cilantro: A small bunch freshly chopped is the perfect amount.
- Mayonnaise: Use whatever brand and type of mayonnaise you enjoy.
- Spicy Brown Mustard
- White Vinegar
- Sugar: Just plain, white sugar.
- Onion Powder
- Black Pepper: Fresh cracked black pepper or ground black pepper are both good choices.
How to Make Jalapeno Coleslaw
This recipe requires zero cooking and only takes 15 minutes to prepare. It’s so easy!
- Chop the Veggies. Slice the green cabbage, purple cabbage, red onion, carrots, green onions, and cilantro. Make sure to follow the ingredients (dice the jalapenos, thinly slice the red onion, etc). Add them to a large bowl.
- Make the Dressing. Whisk in a small bowl the mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, sugar, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Ensure it is well combined.
- Mix. Pour the dressing over the coleslaw and toss lightly to coat.
- Chill. Place the jalapeno slaw in the refrigerator to chill for about 30 minutes to enhance the flavors.
- Serve. Enjoy the jalapeno coleslaw on its own or as a topping on your favorite dish!
Tips and Tricks
- Want to save even more time? Use a precut bag of coleslaw mix instead of the cabbages and carrots. Try a bag or broccoli slaw instead of cabbage.
- Shredded carrots can also be used in place of matchstick carrots.
- Use 1 jalapeno to cut back on the heat if you choose.
- Instead of spicy brown mustard, you can also use Dijon. Feel free to make it your own!
- If you are not a fan of a lot of onion flavor, you can omit the red onions.
- Make this ahead of time and serve the next day!
- Use a sharp knife to cut the cabbage or a mandoline if you have one.
- Taste the coleslaw before putting it in the refrigerator. Adjust the salt and pepper or even the sugar to your liking.
How to Store Leftovers
Leftovers of this jalapeno coleslaw recipe will last in the fridge for up to 3 days. Store in the same bowl covered in plastic wrap or an airtight container.
More Coleslaw Recipes
- 1/2 small head of green cabbage shredded (about 3 cups)
- 1 cup purple cabbage shredded
- 1/2 red onion thinly sliced
- 1 cup carrots matchstick cut
- 2 jalapenos seeded and minced
- 3 green onions thinly sliced, green parts only
- 1 small bunch, cilantro chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Use a sharp knife to cut green cabbage, purple cabbage, red onion, carrots, jalapenos, green onions, and cilantro and place in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl mix together mayonnaise, spicy brown mustard, white vinegar, sugar, onion powder, salt, and pepper.
- Pour dressing over coleslaw mixture and toss until coated.
- Chill for 30 minutes in the fridge before serving.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
- You can substitute a bag of precut coleslaw mix for the green cabbage, purple cabbage, and carrots, if desired.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days.