This Avocado Crema recipe is the perfect addition to any Mexican or Southwestern dish. It’s creamy, tangy, and delicious! The smooth consistency makes it easy to drizzle, too.
The Best Avocado Crema Recipe
I love this creamy avocado sauce on so many things! It’s quick and easy to make and never lasts long. It’s the perfect topping for any Mexican dinner. It’s savory and tangy but isn’t spicy so my kids love it, too! The creamy and smooth texture is also a big hit. I enjoy guacamole but my kiddos are not a fan of the chunky texture. They definitely prefer this avocado crema recipe.
Avocado crema is an avocado cream sauce. All of the ingredients are blended until smooth making it a thinner consistency that’s perfect for drizzling or dipping. There are so many ways it can be used – even on a salad! I like to drizzle this avocado crema over our Spicy Shrimp Tacos or Doritos Taco Salad. It adds the perfect amount of tang!
What You’ll Need to Make Avocado Crema
Besides salt and pepper, this avocado crema only needs 5 ingredients! It’s so easy and inexpensive.
- Avocado: Make sure these are ripe avocados but not overripe.
- Sour Cream: Use your favorite brand! I use full fat but you can also use light or fat-free.
- Garlic: Mince your fresh garlic cloves or use minced garlic from a jar.
- Lime Juice
- Salt & Pepper
How to Make Avocado Crema Sauce
All you have to do to make this simple recipe is blend the ingredients! It takes just a few minutes to prepare.
- Step 1. Cut the avocado, remove the pit, and scoop it out into a food processor.
- Step 2. Remove the cilantro leaves off the stems and add to the avocado.
- Step 3. Add the remaining ingredients to the food processor and pulse until creamy. It should take about 1-2 minutes.
- Step 4. Taste and more salt and pepper as needed.
- Step 5. Serve and enjoy!
Here are our favorite ways to enjoy this avocado crema.
- Drizzle over Pork Carnitas served in tortillas.
- This Mexican crema is perfect for Fish Tacos, Chicken Tacos and Burrito Bowls.
- Add a dollop to your portion of Air Fryer Nachos.
- Dip or drizzle some crema on these Air Fryer Taquitos.
- Serve with cheesy Beef Enchiladas to break up the richness.
- Dip Crispy Chicken Tenders or Copycat Chick Fil A Nuggets.
- Add it to your burrito filling or keep it on the side as a tangy dipping sauce.
- Pour some over a burrito bowl made with your favorite ingredients.
- Simple dip tortilla chips in the avocado crema!
Tips and Tricks
- For a little extra lime flavor, add a little more juice or some lime zest.
- If you don’t have a food processor, you can use a standard blender instead.
- There’s no need to chop the cilantro before adding it to the food processor. Removing the stems is the only step required.
- Substitute 1 tsp of garlic powder for the minced garlic if you prefer. If you decide to use whole cloves, you do not need to cut them beforehand.
- Swap Greek yogurt for sour cream, too!
Love avocados? Here are some more recipes you can try!
How to Store Leftovers
Leftovers will stay fresh in the refrigerator for about 2 days. Store in an airtight container with a layer of plastic wrap on top of the crema and under the lid. It’s normal for it to turn a little brown on the top like guacamole does. Just give it a good stir and it will be just fine to eat. You can also store leftovers in a mason jar as well.
More Homemade Sauce Recipes
- Homemade Enchilada Sauce
- Teriyaki Sauce
- Sweet and Sour Sauce
- Alabama White Sauce
- Fry Sauce
- Homemade BBQ Sauce
- 1 large avocado
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 small bunch cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- black pepper to taste
- Cut the avocado and remove the pit. Scoop out the flesh and add to a small food processor.
- Remove cilantro leaves from the stems and add to the food processor.
- Add sour cream, minced garlic, lime juice, salt and pepper.
- Blend for 1-2 minutes until smooth and creamy.
- Serve immediately.