Get ready for Spring with this easy and delicious recipe for a classic Easter Cake Roll. Plus, here are tips and tricks to ensure your cake rolls come out perfectly every time.
Easter Rolled Cake with Cream Cheese Filling
Nothing says Easter quite like a homemade Easter Cake Roll. The sponge cake’s lightness paired with the filling’s sweetness creates a sublime taste that will leave you wanting more. Whether to be shared around the family table this Easter season or gifted to a loved one, this cake brings a special touch to any gathering.
You will also love our other delicious cake roll recipes including our Carrot Cake Roll, Strawberry Cake Roll, Red Velvet Cake Roll, Pumpkin Cake Roll and Lemon Cake Roll with Blueberries.
Key Ingredients You’ll Need
- Lemon Juice: This will add a sour and tangy flavor to the cake batter.
- Sugar: You will need granulated sugar for the batter and powdered sugar for the frosting.
- Flour: You will need cake flour for this recipe.
- Food coloring: I like to use pastel food coloring, but you can use other colors as well.
- Frosting: I love using my homemade cream cheese frosting for this recipe.
How To Make Easter Cake Roll
- Prepare the cake batter. Set the oven to 350 degrees and use baking spray to grease a 13×18-inch baking sheet, then line it with parchment paper. Add the egg whites, lemon juice, and salt into a standing mixer and combine using a whisk attachment. Put in the sugar and gradually whisk until combined and it forms soft peaks. Add in the cake flour and fold to combine gently.
- Coloring the batter. Separate the batter into 4 bowls and add a couple of drops of the food coloring. Combine until you reach the desired shade. Drop dollops of the batter onto the prepared baking sheet, alternating between each one and spreading out evenly with a flat spatula.
- Baking the cake. Add the pan to the oven and bake for 12 minutes or until it bounces back. Take it out and allow it to sit for 5 minutes to cool. Once cooled, flip onto another sheet of parchment paper and remove the top parchment paper layer. Begin to tightly roll it into a log before placing it in the fridge for a few hours to cool.
- Make the frosting. Add the cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla into a standing mixer and combine until smooth. Once the cake is cooled, unroll and frost the top with the prepared frosting evenly. Dust the cake with more powdered sugar when you are ready to serve. Enjoy!
Ways to Decorate
A jelly roll cake is a beautiful dessert all on its own. However, there are lots of ways to dress it up with some Easter-themed decorations. Consider topping the cake roll with piped meringue, marshmallow fluff, or chocolate buttercream frosting and adding colorful sprinkles and edible flowers for extra decoration.
Tips & Tricks
- Make sure your cake batter is evenly spread on the sheet pan and cooled completely before rolling.
- If you’re adding a filling, make sure to give it enough time to cool before spreading it onto the cake.
- When rolling, make sure to lift the parchment paper carefully while using the towel to support and shape the roll.
- Refrigerate your Easter Cake Roll for at least an hour before serving. This helps keep all of its flavors intact.
More Easter Recipes:
Easter Cake Roll
- 6 large egg whites room temperature
- 1 tsp lemon juice freshly squeezed
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ Cup sugar
- ½ Cup cake flour + 1 tbsp
- Pastel gel food coloring
Cream Cheese Frosting ingredients
- 1 – 8 oz cream cheese softened
- ½ Cup butter unsalted, softened
- 1 Cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, spray with baking spray, and line a 13×18 baking sheet with parchment paper. Using a standing mixer with the whisk attachment, beat the egg whites, lemon juice, and salt until foamy. Gradually whisk in the sugar. Continue to beat until the mixture forms soft peaks. Gently fold in the cake flour until combined and smooth.
- Divide the cake batter into 4 bowls and mix in a few drops of each color to get a nice vibrant shade. Mix in a few more drops to get the shade that you prefer. Alternate between all 4 colors, and drop dollops of the batters onto the parchment paper. Using a flat spatula, spread evenly.
- Bake in the oven for 12 minutes or until it springs back at you! Remove and let the cake cool for 5 minutes before flipping the pan over onto another sheet of parchment paper remove the top layer of parchment paper and tightly roll the cake into a spiral. Place into the fridge and allow to cool for a few hours
- Using the standing mixer, beat the cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla until combined and smooth. Once the cake is chilled enough, carefully unroll the cake and then frost the entire top of the cake in the cream cheese frosting, make sure to spread the frosting evenly. When ready to serve, dust the entire cake in powdered sugar. Enjoy!
Leave a Review!
We LOVE hearing from you! Submit your question or comment here.
Your email address will not be published.