Lemon Cake Mix Cookies with Cream Cheese
Lemon Cake Mix Cookies are super soft cream cheese cookies bursting with lemon flavor. So easy to make with a lemon cake mix, you can whip up a batch of these 6-ingredient cookies in minutes!
Lemon Cake Mix Cookies
We just love lemon desserts! When I wanted to make a batch of lemon cookies, I decided to take the help from a cake mix. A simple mix can turn out some really delicious, soft cookies fast. With that in mind, I baked these Lemon Cookies made with Cake Mix. I think you’re going to love them as much as we did!
Here’s what you’ll need to make the Cake Mix Lemon Cookies (the exact measurements and full recipe instructions are below in the printable recipe card):
- Lemon cake mix – The lemon cake mix I used was Duncan Hines Perfectly Moist Lemon Supreme cake. It was just right for this recipe, but any regular size box of lemon cake mix would do well.
- Butter – I used regular salted butter.
- Cream cheese
- Lemon flavor extract – Find this near the vanilla extract and other flavors in the baking aisle of your grocery store.
- Powdered sugar – You’ll roll the cookie dough balls in the powdered sugar before baking, but you can also dust the cookies after they’re baked with more if you’d like.
How to Make Lemon Cake Mix Cookies
Start by beating together the butter, cream cheese, egg, and lemon extract with an electric mixer. Next, mix in the cake mix until a soft dough forms.
Cover the cookie dough in the bowl and refrigerate for 30 minutes so the dough can firm up a bit.
After 30 minutes, roll the dough into 1-inch balls and then roll in powdered sugar. Place the cookie dough balls 2-inches apart on greased cookie sheets.
Bake the cookies at 350ºF for 12-13 minutes until set. Cool the cookies for 2 minutes on the cookie sheets, then transfer them to wire cooling racks to cool more.
The color of the Lemon Cookies will be a very pale yellow. To bump up the color, add a few drops of yellow food coloring to the cookie dough batter. I added food coloring when mixing the butter, cream cheese, egg, and flavoring together to make sure the cookies would turn out nice and bright.
Cake mixes make great cookies! Here are a few variations on the cake mix cookie idea you might like to try:
How to Store the Lemon Cream Cheese Cookies
Keep the cookies in an airtight container. There is an old trick of adding a piece of white bread to the container to keep them soft. The cookies are best within the first day or two, but can keep at room temperature for up to 5 days.
More Recipes You Will Enjoy
Lemon Cake Mix Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon flavor extract
- 1 box lemon cake mix
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter, cream cheese, egg, and lemon extract with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Add the lemon cake mix and mix until well incorporated.
- Cover the cookie dough in the bowl and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- While the dough is chilling, preheat the oven to 350F.
- Roll the dough into 1-inch balls, roll each in the powdered sugar, then place on cookie sheets greased with non-stick cooking spray. Leave at least 2 inches of space between each cookie.
- Bake the cookies at 350F for 12-13 minutes until set. Cool the cookies on the baking sheets for 2 minutes, then transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool completely. Dust with additional powdered sugar if desired.