Lemon Meringue Pie Bites are tiny little bite-sized pies that taste just as good as the full version. These adorable mini desserts will be everyone’s new favorite.
Lemon is one of my favorite flavors when it comes to baking. Lemon Cookies, Lemon Sheet Cake, Lemon Brownies. There are so many delicious possibilities!
Lemon Meringue Pie Bites
This recipe uses mostly common ingredients, many – if not all – are probably already in your kitchen right now. So go grab some fresh lemons and let’s get started!
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- Pie Crust
- Cream of Tartar
Lemon Meringue Pie Bites Recipe
To start, roll out the pie crust on a floured surface and cut out circles with a cookie cutter. If you’re using a normal sized muffin tin, then the circles should be about 3-4 inches. You want it to be big enough to fit down inside.
Push the crust into the pan and poke holes in the bottom with a fork. Go ahead and bake them by themselves for a few minutes until they start to brown around the edges. Pull them out and let them cool.
Then, we can move onto the pie mixture.
First, whisk the egg yolks in a medium size bowl and set aside.
In a saucepan, combine the cornstarch, water, sugar, and salt stirring constantly over medium to low heat until it starts to boil.
Boil for just one minute then remove from heat. Pour half of the mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly. Pour the hot egg mixture back into the saucepan, still whisking constantly. Return the pan to the heat, and cook on low for an additional 3 minutes.
Remove from the heat and stir in lemon juice and lemon zest. Whisk in the butter one tablespoon at a time.
Let the filling cool and place the crusts back in the muffin tin, then fill the crusts almost to the top with the lemon filling.
How To Make The Meringue
Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Then add the cream of tartar and salt and gently beat in the sugar until the mixture is glossy.
Fill a pastry bag with the meringue and top the filled pies. Place the pies back in the oven under the broiler until the meringue is a light golden brown. Remove pies to a wire rack to cool. Serve, and enjoy!
This recipe will make about 16-18 of these tiny pies.
If you aren’t going to serve and eat immediately, go ahead and put them in the fridge. You don’t want to leave these sitting at room temperature.
Lemon Meringue Pie Bites
- 1 package pie crusts
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup of cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups of water
- 1 1/3 cups of sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 cup of lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of lemon zest grated
- 3 Tablespoons of butter
- 4 egg whites at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon of Cream of Tartar
- Pinch of salt
- 3/4 cups of sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll out the pie crust on a floured surface with a rolling pin, and using a round cookie cutter cut round circles out of the pie crust.
- Place pie crust rounds in the muffin tin, and push gently into the tin to form a small crust.
- Prick the bottom of the crusts lightly with a fork.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Remove from oven and loosen the small crusts from the muffin tin, move to a wire rack to cool slightly.
- While crusts cool, whisk the egg yolks in a medium size bowl and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine cornstarch, water, sugar, and salt.
- Stir constantly over medium low heat until mixture comes to a boil for one minute. Remove from heat.
- Pour half of the mixture into the egg yolks in a thin stream, slowly and whisking constantly.
- Pour the hot egg mixture back into the saucepan, still whisking constantly.
- Return the pan to the heat, and cook on low for an additional 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat, and stir in lemon juice, and lemon zest.
- Whisk in the butter one tablespoon at a time. Stirring occasionally while the filling cools.
- When filling is cool, place the crusts back in the muffin tin and fill the crusts almost to the top with the lemon filling.
- In the mixing bowl of a stand mixer, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Add the cream of tartar and salt, and gently beat in the sugar until glossy.
- Fill a pastry bag with the meringue and top the filled pies with the meringue.
- Place the pies back in the oven under the broiler until the meringue is a light golden brown.
- Remove pies to a wire rack to cool. Serve, and enjoy!
Leave a Review!
We LOVE hearing from you! Submit your question or comment here.
Your email address will not be published.