Made with toasted hoagie rolls and marinara sauce, then topped with loads of mozzarella, this Meatball Sub Recipe makes a quick and easy dinner. Ready in under 30 minutes with just 5 ingredients!
Easy Meatball Sub Recipe
This Meatball Sub recipe is the reason why there are always extra homemade meatballs in my freezer. This is such a quick and easy dinner to whip up and it’s one that the kids and I both love. The meatballs are simmered in homemade marinara sauce and topped with lots of mozzarella cheese, all on a toasted hoagie roll.
And to make things even more flavorful, I toast the hoagie roll with some garlic butter. It’s just the thing that makes these meatball subs the best ever.
While I love making this with my homemade meatballs and homemade marinara sauce, you can easily make it with your store-bought favorites for a dinner that’s even easier!
What You’ll Need
There are just 5 ingredients needed to make these meatball hoagies!
- Meatballs – You can grab a bag of frozen meatballs from the store but I highly recommend making these with homemade meatballs.
- Marinara sauce – I use my homemade marinara.
- Hoagie rolls – Hoagie rolls are best because they’re thick and sturdy. Other rolls can fall apart with the weight of the meatballs or get very soggy very quickly.
- Garlic butter – Regular butter will work too if you’re not a fan of garlic or don’t have it.
- Mozzarella cheese – The perfect topping for these easy subs!
I like to keep it classic with just marinara sauce and cheese but I know many people like to add more toppings to their meatball hoagies. Here are a few ideas:
- Banana peppers or jalapenos
- More cheese
- Fresh basil
How to Make a Meatball Sub
Here are the few simple steps to making the best meatball sub!
- Prepare the meatballs. Cook the meatballs as directed on the package or make our homemade meatballs.
- Simmer. Simmer the cooked meatballs in the marinara sauce for 10 minutes.
- Prepare the rolls. Spread garlic butter on the insides of each roll. Broil until golden, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Assemble the subs. Place 4 meatballs on each roll. Top with extra marinara, cheese, and parsley. Broil until the cheese is melted.
- Enjoy. Serve with additional marinara sauce if desired.
Here are a few ways to switch up your meatball sandwiches.
- Try different cheese. Provolone and parmesan are both great options.
- Use turkey meatballs. This recipe can easily be made with turkey or chicken meatballs instead of beef.
- Make meatball sliders. To turn these meatball subs into a recipe fit for a crowd, just use slider buns instead of hoagie rolls.
Wondering what to serve with your meatball sub? Pretty much anything you want!
More Sandwich Recipes:
- Hot Ham and Cheese Sandwiches
- Brisket Grilled Cheese
- French Dip Sandwich
- Slow Cooker Drip Beef Sandwich
- Prepare meatballs as directed on package or make our easy homemade meatballs.
- Place cooked meatballs in a medium saucepan with marinara sauce and simmer covered for 10 minutes.
- While simmering, spread garlic butter on the insides of each roll. Set the oven to broil and heat rolls on a baking pan until golden (make sure to keep a watch not to burn), about 3-4 minutes.
- Arrange rolls in a 9×13 baking dish. Place 4 meatballs in each roll and top with marinara sauce, cheese and sprinkle with parsley.
- Broil 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Serve with additional marinara sauce for dipping (if desired).