Made with toasted hoagie rolls and marinara sauce, then topped with loads of mozzarella, this Meatball Sub Recipe makes a quick and easy dinner. Ready in under 30 minutes with just 5 ingredients!
Easy Meatball Sub Recipe
This Meatball Sub recipe is the reason why there are always extra homemade meatballs in my freezer. This is such a quick and easy dinner to whip up and it’s one that the kids and I both love. The meatballs are simmered in homemade marinara sauce and topped with lots of mozzarella cheese, all on a toasted hoagie roll.
And to make things even more flavorful, I toast the hoagie roll with some garlic butter. It’s just the thing that makes these meatball subs the best ever.
While I love making this with my homemade meatballs and homemade marinara sauce, you can easily make it with your store-bought favorites for a dinner that’s even easier!
What You’ll Need
There are just 5 ingredients needed to make these meatball hoagies!
- Meatballs – You can grab a bag of frozen meatballs from the store but I highly recommend making these with homemade meatballs.
- Marinara sauce – I use my homemade marinara.
- Hoagie rolls – Hoagie rolls are best because they’re thick and sturdy. Other rolls can fall apart with the weight of the meatballs or get very soggy very quickly.
- Garlic butter – Regular butter will work too if you’re not a fan of garlic or don’t have it.
- Mozzarella cheese – The perfect topping for these easy subs!
I like to keep it classic with just marinara sauce and cheese but I know many people like to add more toppings to their meatball hoagies. Here are a few ideas:
- Banana peppers or jalapenos
- More cheese
- Fresh basil
How to Make a Meatball Sub
Here are the few simple steps to making the best meatball sub!
- Prepare the meatballs. Cook the meatballs as directed on the package or make our homemade meatballs.
- Simmer. Simmer the cooked meatballs in the marinara sauce for 10 minutes.
- Prepare the rolls. Spread garlic butter on the insides of each roll. Broil until golden, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Assemble the subs. Place 4 meatballs on each roll. Top with extra marinara, cheese, and parsley. Broil until the cheese is melted.
- Enjoy. Serve with additional marinara sauce if desired.
Here are a few ways to switch up your meatball sandwiches.
- Try different cheese. Provolone and parmesan are both great options.
- Use turkey meatballs. This recipe can easily be made with turkey or chicken meatballs instead of beef.
- Make meatball sliders. To turn these meatball subs into a recipe fit for a crowd, just use slider buns instead of hoagie rolls.
Wondering what to serve with your meatball sub? Pretty much anything you want!
You can keep it simple with some chips and dip (or even veggies and dip!), add a potato salad or macaroni salad, or even a broccoli salad.
More Sandwich Recipes:
- Hot Ham and Cheese Sandwiches
- Brisket Grilled Cheese
- French Dip Sandwich
- Slow Cooker Drip Beef Sandwich
- 16 meatballs homemade or frozen
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 4 hoagie rolls
- 4 tablespoons garlic butter
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Prepare meatballs as directed on package or make our easy homemade meatballs.
- Place cooked meatballs in a medium saucepan with marinara sauce and simmer covered for 10 minutes.
- While simmering, spread garlic butter on the insides of each roll. Set the oven to broil and heat rolls on a baking pan until golden (make sure to keep a watch not to burn), about 3-4 minutes.
- Arrange rolls in a 9×13 baking dish. Place 4 meatballs in each roll and top with marinara sauce, cheese and sprinkle with parsley.
- Broil 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Serve with additional marinara sauce for dipping (if desired).
Leave a Review!
We LOVE hearing from you! Submit your question or comment here.
Your email address will not be published.