The legendary Julia Child said, “If you’re afraid of butter, use cream.” Well, you can’t very well be afraid of butter when you make this Garlic Butter Spread, can you?
Garlic is a favorite in my house. Yours too? After you try this recipe, make sure you put your eyes on this recipe for Spaghetti Stuffed Garlic Bread. It uses frozen bread dough to turn plain old spaghetti into a showstopper.
And as long as you have the butter at the ready, set aside a half cup and use it to make a Gooey Butter Cake that will instantly become a favorite. No kidding, y’all. It’s gooooood!
Garlic Butter Spread
You’ll need unsalted butter for this recipe. We’ve talked about the different kinds of butter before, but here’s a quick refresher if you missed it.
What is sweet cream butter? This is the most common butter you see in the grocery store. It comes in both salted and unsalted and is made from pasteurized fresh cream. If you look in your refrigerator right now, I’d bet that your butter is labeled “sweet cream.”
Even if it doesn’t say that, it’s probably still sweet cream butter. It’s what most Americans use, even if they don’t know it.
Is sweet cream butter sweet? Nope. There is nothing in this butter that makes it any sweeter than any other butter.
What is the difference between salted butter and unsalted butter? They are pretty much exactly what they say they are. Salted butter is slightly salty and shouldn’t be used in recipes that you don’t want to over salt.
Buying Parsley and Basil
Lots of grocery stores have fresh parsley and basil in the produce area. I’ve found them already minced in small packages and I often buy them that way.
If you buy fresh parsley, treat it the same way you would celery. Sit it in a glass of water and put it in the refrigerator. Cover it with a loose plastic bag.
Garlic Butter Spread
- 1 C unsalted butter room temp
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 1/2 C grated parmesan cheese
- 2 TBSP fresh parsley
- 1 TBSP fresh minced basil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Italian or French Bread slice for spreading
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Pulse to mince the garlic, oregano, and basil in a food processor.
- Add the butter, cheese, salt and pepper to the food processor.
- Slowly blend until all ingredients are well mixed and smooth.
- Spread the garlic butter on the sliced bread.
- Bake on 350 degrees for 12 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving plate.
- Store in the refrigerator.