Dill Pickle Potato Salad with Bacon is filled with soft potatoes, crispy bacon, green onions, hard boiled eggs, and creamy dill dressing. This is the perfect homemade potato salad for your summer picnic, potluck, BBQ meal, or any occasion.
Dill Pickle Potato Salad with Bacon
Homemade potato salad is the absolute best! We so often default to buying it from the deli at the grocery store, but potato salad is actually really easy to make at home. Plus, you can make more for the money when compared to buying it pre-made, you can adjust the ingredients for your own tastes and special diets, and it just tastes so much better when made fresh at home. This Bacon Potato Salad Recipe is sure to be your new favorite way to enjoy potato salad!
Here’s what you’ll need to make the Bacon Potato Salad Recipe (the exact measurements and full recipe instructions are below in the printable recipe card):
- Yukon Gold potatoes – these potatoes are really great for potato salad, but you can use a different variety if you prefer.
- Dill pickle relish – feel free to use sweet relish instead if you like.
- Dried dill – this ingredient is optional, but it does add nice flavor to the dressing.
- Bacon – Cook the bacon until it’s crispy, then cool and crumble. You can use my air fryer bacon for this too!
- Eggs – hard boil and peel the eggs up to a day in advance to have them ready for the potato salad.
- Green onions
How to Make Potato Salad with Bacon Recipe
Start by washing the potatoes and cutting them into 1-inch or smaller bite size pieces. Place them in a large pot and cover with water at least 1-inch above the potatoes. Bring to a boil over high heat (you may need to reduce the heat once the water is boiling to prevent it from boiling over) and cook until the potatoes are soft. Pour the potatoes into a colander to drain off the water and cool them to room temperature.
TIP: If you need to cool the potatoes fast, pour them out onto a baking sheet and cool at room temperature for 10 minutes, then finish cooling in the refrigerator.
While the potatoes are boiling and cooling, prepare the dressing. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, relish, dried dill, salt, and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until you’re ready to add it to the potato salad.
In a large bowl, combine the cooked potatoes, crumbled bacon, diced green onions, and chopped hardboiled eggs.
Pour the dressing into the bowl and toss well until everything is combined.
Serve the Bacon Potato Salad Recipe cold. You may want to add more bacon and green onions to the top as garnish.
How to Store Leftovers
Keep the leftover Potato Salad with Bacon in an airtight container or a bowl covered well with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for up to two days before discarding any remaining leftovers.
Keep It Cool
It’s important that you don’t let the leftover potato salad sit out at room temperature for too long. Even more important to keep it cold if you’re serving the salad outside in hot weather. You may want to pour some ice into a large bowl, then nestle a smaller bowl filled with the potato salad inside of the large bowl so the ice will keep it cold.
If you’re not using a chilled bowl, you’ll just want to have the potato salad out long enough for everyone to be served and get seconds, then cover it and return it to the refrigerator or a cooler.
More Recipes You Will Enjoy:
- Blackberry Bramble Cocktail
- Peanut Butter Banana Cupcakes
- Cajun Shrimp and Grits
- Lemon Coffee Cake with Cream Cheese Filling
Dill Pickle Potato Salad with Bacon
- Pour the cubed potatoes into a large pot and cover with water, at least 1 inch above the potatoes. Boil on high heat until the potatoes are fork-tender. Tip: You may need to reduce the heat from high once the water is boiling to prevent it from boiling over.
- Drain the water from the potatoes in a colander and allow the potatoes to cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, relish, dried dill, salt, and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until you're ready for the next step.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cooked and cooled potatoes, chopped hardboiled eggs, crumbled cooked bacon, and diced green onions. Add the prepared dressing and toss to combine.
- Serve the potato salad cold.