This Mexican Macaroni Ham Salad is so good, you might want to make a double batch. Packed with ham, veggies, and pasta, this salad is perfect for picnics, get togethers and easy summer dinners. One bite of this Mexican Macaroni Ham Salad might become of your favorites.
Mexican Macaroni Ham Salad
When it comes to a light and refreshing pasta salad, this Mexican Macaroni Ham Salad is perfect. Use it as a simple side dish or as the main course. Bring it along to pot lucks and picnics, or make a large batch for easy lunches all week long.
- Macaroni noodles- While traditionally you use macaroni noodles in macaroni salad, you can use any style of noodles you want.
- Mayonnaise- You can use a full fat or low fat mayonnaise. You can also use Miracle Whip.
- Mexican sour cream – You can also use crème fraiche.
- Salt and Black pepper- Be sure to season your salad. This adds flavor.
- Ham- You can use sliced deli style ham or use leftover ham.
- Mixed vegetables – I chose the type with carrots, peas, and corn.
- Pickled jalapenos – You will want to drain and roughly chop the jalapenos. You will want to determine how many you add by how spiciness you want it to be.
How to Make Mexican Macaroni Ham Salad
Cook the pasta and allow it to cool to room temperature.
In a large bowl, mix together the mayo, sour cream, and seasonings. Then add the cooled pasta. Stir together until the dressing covers the noodles.
Drain the canned vegetables and then add them to the bowl.
Next, add the jalapenos and ham.
Mix everything together well.
Refrigerate for at least 30 before serving.
What Type of Ham Do I Add to This Pasta Salad?
Whenever we have leftover ham from the holidays or just a ham dinner, I like to find ways to use the leftovers. That is why I love this salad. But there are also times when I am craving this incredible macaroni ham salad and we do not have leftover ham on hand. In that case, I use deli style ham and cut it into pieces. If using deli style ham you want to use about 6 ounces worth. If you are using leftover ham, you will want more than six ounces.
What Vegetables go In Mexican Macaroni Salad?
You can add whatever vegetables you like, but I like adding a can of mixed vegetables. I like that the vegetables are already cooked and diced into small pieces. It is a huge time saver.
More Pasta Salad Recipes
- Dill Pickle Pasta Salad
- Chicken Caesar Pasta Salad
- Doritos Taco Pasta Salad
- The Best Creamy Pasta Salad Recipe
- Tortellini Pasta Salad
Mexican Macaroni Ham Salad
- 2 cups small macaroni noodles 8 oz dried
- ¼ c + 1 Tablespoons cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup + 1 Tablespoon cup Mexican sour cream or sub with crème fraiche
- large pinch of salt
- large pinch ground black pepper
- 6 oz sliced ham or more if desired*
- 15 oz mixed vegetable mix drained**
- optional: pickled jalapenos drained and roughly chopped (according to spiciness level)
- Cook the pasta according to package instructions. Drain and set aside to cool to room temperature, alternatively you can rinse under cool water and drain thoroughly.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the mayo, sour cream, salt and pepper, until well combined. Then mix in the cooked and drained pasta, stir until the sauce is coating the noodles as best as possible. Next, mix in the drained canned vegetables until well combined. Then mix in the jalapenos and then lastly mix in the ham bits and stir until all ingredients are well incorporated. Taste and if needed adjust the salt and or pepper.
- This pasta salad can be served right away or store in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before serving. It makes a great lunch or an excellent side dish. Enjoy!
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.