Have you ever enjoyed Nashville Chicken and Waffles? If you have, today is your lucky day because I have a fantastic recipe for you. If not, oh my, hang on to your hat! This stuff is good.
If you have kiddos you should make then their very own chicken and waffles. These chicken and Eggo waffle kabobs are yummo and it’s been my experience that kids will eat about anything that’s served on a stick. It uses chicken nuggets from the freezer section of your grocery store and, of course, mini Eggo waffles. And hey, so long as you’re in the freezer section why not grab some ice cream and use your leftover waffles to make this silly Monkey Banana Split.
Nashville Chicken and Waffles
I would consider myself crazy for both waffles and good fried chicken. One is sweet, the other savory, and together they are unforgettable. I like the hint of spicy heat in the Nashville chicken next to the sugary sweet maple syrup on the waffles.
The Chicken and Waffle Combo Was Born in the South.
Like so many of the best dishes in the United States, this duo was created where the summers are hot and the tea is sweet. There is a fair share of debate as to whether they may have actually been created by a restaurant in Harlem. I don’t know about you, but it doesn’t matter one iota to me if I’m right or others are right about where the dish originated. Just let me put it in my mouth!
Yes, You Need Buttermilk.
If you don’t make buttermilk biscuits or pancakes on the regular, you probably don’t keep buttermilk in your refrigerator and you’re almost certainly not drinking it. (Although some people love a cold glass of it with fresh cornbread.) Let’s just say it is as close to the taste of spoiled milk as I hope you ever get.
So, if you want to make this recipe and you don’t have any buttermilk, you can make your own.
Make Your Own Buttermilk.
You need whole milk and white distilled vinegar. For every cup of milk, add 1 TBSP of white, distilled vinegar or 1 TBSP lemon juice. Let it sit for 10 minutes. It’ll begin to curdle, so it will look a bit different than regular milk. The curds are fine, so don’t be shy about pouring the whole cup into your recipe just as it is.
Other Chicken Recipes To Try
- Buttermilk Air Fryer Chicken Legs Recipe
- Chicken Fried Steak With Gravy
- Southern Smothered Chicken
- Cranberry Chicken
Nashville Chicken and Waffles
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp. Louisiana hot sauce
- Frozen waffles – buttermilk toasted
- Leafy green lettuce
- Spicy Sandwich spread
- Tomato slices
- Combine salt, pepper, paprika sprinkle over chicken.
- Place a sealable bag, refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Combine breading ingredients in a medium sized bowl.
- In a small bowl add the egg, milk, water and hot sauce whisk to combine.
- In a microwavable bowl, add sauce ingredients, whisk, and set aside.
- Coat chicken in flour mix.
- Then dip in the egg mixture.
- Dip again in the flour mix.
- Set chicken to the side to rest for 15 minutes.
- In a large frying pan heat oil to 325 F.
- Fry chicken until crispy, about 10-15 minutes.
- Remove ½ cup of the HOT frying oil and slowly add it to the sauce mix. Carefully whisk to combine.
- Add the chicken to the glaze mix and turn repeatedly to cover completely.
- Place on a parchment covered pan to rest.
- Repeat with all chicken tenders.
- Set to the side
- Place hot chicken between two waffle halves.
- Top with condiments, sauce, etc.