These Copycat Olive Garden Breadsticks are absolutely addictive, with a soft, tender inside and a buttery garlic salt topping on the outside. Enjoy with your favorite soup, salad, or pasta!
Easy Copycat Olive Garden Breadsticks
Can we all just agree that the endless breadsticks are the best part of going to Olive Garden? I don’t know about you but I can easily make a meal out of breadsticks and salad alone. By the time my actual meal comes, I’m usually pretty close to full because I just can’t stop eating breadsticks.
Now you can recreate those famous endless breadsticks at home with this easy copycat Olive Garden Breadsticks recipe. You’ll need just a handful of basic ingredients for the dough and once they’re baked to golden perfection, they’re topped with butter and garlic salt for that classic flavor. So irresistible!
Watch The Recipe Video!
What You’ll Need
These homemade garlic butter breadsticks are made with just a handful of simple ingredients. Check the recipe card below for measurements.
- Warm water – Be sure that it’s warm but not hot to the touch, as that can kill the yeast.
- Active dry yeast – Helps the dough rise and creates the soft, chewy breadstick texture. Be sure to check the expiration date!
- Sugar – Sugar helps to activate the yeast but it won’t make the bread taste sweet.
- Vegetable oil
- All-purpose flour – Be sure to measure it correctly as too much flour can affect the texture of the breadsticks.
- Butter – Melted butter helps the seasonings stick to the breadsticks.
- Garlic salt – Garlic salt with parsley flakes gives these copycat breadsticks the signature Olive Garden flavor.
How to Make Olive Garden Breadsticks
Here’s how to make these irresistible Olive Garden breadsticks in the comfort of your own home.
- Activate the yeast. Dissolve the yeast and sugar in warm water. Allow to sit for 5 to 10 minutes, until foamy.
- Prepare the dough. Mix the salt, oil, and two cups of flour until combined. Add 1/4 cup of flour at a time until the dough pulls away from the bowl. It should be soft and only slightly sticky.
- Knead the dough. Knead the dough until smooth, sprinkling with flour as needed.
- Let rise. Place the dough in a greased bowl. Let rise for 30 minutes, until doubled.
- Form the breadsticks. Punch the dough down then divide into 12 balls. Roll each one into a 9-inch rope. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Let rise again. Cover the baking sheets and let the breadsticks rise for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Bake. Bake the breadsticks for 15 to 17 minutes, until golden brown.
- Add the garlic butter. Brush the breadsticks with melted butter as soon as you remove them from the oven. Sprinkle with garlic salt and serve warm.
Tips for Success
Here are a few tips to help you make the perfect copycat Olive Garden breadsticks.
- Made sure your yeast is good. If your yeast doesn’t foam up during the first 10 minutes, toss it and start over.
- Allow plenty of time to rise. These breadsticks need to rise twice and each time they should double in size. The exact amount of time each rise takes will depend on the temperature, so always double-check to make sure they’ve doubled in size before continuing.
- Watch carefully during baking. These bake quickly, in under 20 minutes. Keep a close eye out to ensure they don’t over-brown, though you want them to bake long enough that they’re not doughy inside.
Of course, these garlic salt breadsticks go with pretty much any pasta or soup. Try them with classic spaghetti, alfredo pasta, or whatever your favorite is!
You can also serve them as an appetizer with some marinara sauce for dipping.
How to Store Leftovers
Leftover breadsticks can be stored at room temperature for 3 days. Just keep them in a ziploc bag. Since they’re best enjoyed warm, you can either pop them in the microwave for a few seconds or wrap them in foil and reheat in the oven.
Can I Freeze Homemade Breadsticks?
Yes, you can freeze any extra Olive Garden breadsticks. Allow them to cool, wrap them tightly in plastic, and place them in a ziploc bag. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw on the counter for a few hours and reheat in the microwave or oven.
More Copycat Recipes:
- Alice Springs Chicken (Outback Copycat)
- Panda Express Orange Chicken
- Chick-fil-A Chicken Nuggets
- Seasoned Pretzels (Dots Copycat)
Olive Garden Breadsticks
- 2 tbsp butter melted
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt with parsley flakes
- In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast and sugar in the warm water. Let sit for 5-10 minutes, or until foamy.
- Add the salt, oil, and two cups of flour, and mix until combined. Add additional flour, ¼ cup at a time, until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl and is soft and only slightly sticky to the touch.
- Knead the dough until smooth, sprinkling with flour as needed to make the dough manageable. Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl and let rise for at least 30 minutes, or until doubled.
- After the dough has risen, punch it down gently and divide it into 12 equal sized balls. Roll each ball out into a nine inch rope, and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Repeat with remaining dough, using two baking sheets. Cover and let rise for 20-30 minutes.
- During the last ten minutes of the rise time, preheat the oven to 400°F. Bake 15-17 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and brush with melted butter, then sprinkle with garlic salt. Serve warm.