Patriotic Donut Kabobs are the new way to celebrate any patriotic day of the year. These wooden skewers are filled with chocolate-coated donuts and fresh strawberries to create a beautiful display of red, white, and blue colors.
These Donut Kabobs are not only simple to make and delicious, but they are super cute and the perfect treat. These kabobs are an incredible blend of flavors from fresh fruit to hardened white chocolate to soft donuts to a smooth cream cheese frosting. These are great for any occasion and can easily be changed into different colors for whenever you need them.
Key Ingredients You’ll Need
Donut Holes: I use Krispy Kreme for this recipe, but any kind will suffice.
Strawberries: Fresh strawberries are the best and they add the perfect pop of red color.
Cream Cheese Frosting: I like to use my homemade cream cheese frosting for this recipe.
White Chocolate: Use this to coat the donut holes as well as decoration to drizzle on top.
Sprinkle Mix: Use Red, White, and Blue sprinkles to add those patriotic colors.
Powdered Sugar: This is the best sugar to use when needing a frosting with a smooth consistency.
Vanilla Coffee Creamer: Use this to not only add flavor to the glaze but help with the thickness.
Blue Food Coloring Gel: Be sure to use food coloring gel and not the liquid form to make it blend easier into the ingredients. Use a drop to a couple of drops to make the desired color of the recipe.
Supplies You’ll Need
Wooden BBQ Skewers: Use these to keep your donut holes and strawberries in place. These will make the recipe easy to hold and pass around.
How To Make Patriotic Donut Kabobs
Step 1: In a colander, put in the strawberries and rinse under cool water before placing on a couple of paper towels and pat dry. Add the powdered sugar, coffee creamer, and food gel into a medium-sized bowl and combine. You can add more food coloring if the color is not bright enough.
Step 2: Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Put the donut holes into the blue glaze and place them onto the lined sheet before placing them all in the fridge. You want the donuts to be bright blue, so if you need to dip them again, just allow them to harden in the fridge before double-dipping.
Step 3: Use my homemade cream cheese frosting or a container of store-bought frosting and place it into a pastry bag with a star tip. Prepare the strawberries by cutting them in half length-wise, and making sure the green stem is removed.
Step 1: Put a coated donut on first and pipe a small amount of the frosting underneath before adding a strawberry on top. Continue until the skewer has 3 donuts and 3 strawberries and there is a layer of cream cheese between each one. Place the skewers onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
Step 2. Place the white chocolate into a heat-safe bowl and melt in the microwave. Use a spoon to drizzle on top of the finished kabobs. Top with the red, white, and blue sprinkles right away.
Step 3. Allow the sprinkles to stick and put them into the fridge to chill and harden before serving. Enjoy!
Can I Use Other Types Of Fruit For Patriotic Donut Kabobs?
Even though these are patriotic kabobs, it is always more delicious to add more fruits to the mix. You can keep the theme by adding other red and blue fruits like blueberries, watermelon, or raspberries. If you’re not looking for a patriotic look, you can add almost any type of fruit you want.
What Kind Of Donuts Can I Use For Patriotic Donut Kabobs?
You can use any type of donut hole for this recipe, but I prefer using a Krispy Kreme. You can also use cake donut holes or glazed donut holes if you are not sure what kind to use.
More Patriotic Recipes:
- Patriotic Sangria Recipe
- Patriotic Cheesecake Recipe
- Canned Tomato Salsa Recipe with Patriotic Appetizers!
- Patriotic Layered Cake
Patriotic Donut Kabobs
- 2 Dozen Donut Holes
- 1 package Strawberries
- 1 16 ounces Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/2 cup White Chocolate melted
- Red White, and Blue Sprinkle Mix
- BLUE GLAZE TO DIP:
- 2 cups Powdered Sugar
- 5 or 6 drops Vanilla Coffee Creamer
- 3 or 4 drops Blue Food Coloring Gel
- Place the Strawberries in a Colander, and rinse well under cool water. Lay on paper towels to drain.
- In a medium-size bowl, mix the Powdered Sugar, Coffee Creamer, and Blue Food Coloring Gel, and stir well to mix. If the Glaze isn’t bright blue enough, add a few more drops of the Food Coloring Gel, and stir well to mix.
- Drop the Donut Holes into the Blue Glaze, and lay on a Parchment Paper lined Cookie Sheet to allow the Glaze to set, or firm.
- When all the Donut Holes have been dipped, place the Cookie Sheet in the Refrigerator. If the Donut Holes need to be dipped again to make sure they’re bright blue, let them get cold in the refrigerator, and dip them again, then place them back on the parchment paper, and back in the refrigerator.
- When the Glaze is set on the Donut Holes, open the container of Frosting and place the frosting in a pastry bag with a star tip. Cut the Strawberries in half, length-wise, removing the green stem.
- When ready to assemble. Place a Donut Hole on the Skewer first, then pipe the Frosting underneath, Skewer a Strawberry, and repeat until you have three Donut Holes, and Three Strawberries between Frosting on the Skewer – see photo. Lay the Skewers on a Parchment paper lined Cookie Sheet.
- Melt the White Chocolate in the microwave, and drizzle with a spoon over the Skewers.
- Immediately Sprinkle the Red, White, and Blue Sprinkle Mix over the Skewers, allowing it to stick to the melted White Chocolate.
- Place the Skewers back in the refrigerator until time to serve. Serve, and Enjoy!
- 1 BBQ Skewers package, wooden