If you love red velvet cake, you are going to absolutely love these Red Velvet Sandwich cookies! They are soft and fluffy cocoa cookies with vanilla buttercream stuffed in the center.
Vanilla Cream Filled Red Velvet Cookies
These cookies are so good and simple to make. The soft cookies complement the thick and creamy frosting in the middle. These cookies are perfect for any occasion, especially during the holidays Add these to a buffet table or enjoy them as a tasty dessert after dinner.
Key Ingredients You’ll Need
Sugar: You will need three types of sugar, granulated sugar, sanding sugar, and powdered sugar for the icing.
Food Coloring: You will need super red food coloring gel to blend easily into the batter.
Cocoa Powder: You will have a lot of sweetener in these cookies, so you will need unsweetened cocoa powder.
Flour: You will need two types of flour, cake flour and all-purpose along with baking soda and cornstarch to help with the consistency of the cookies and allow them to rise in the oven.
Add-ins: I like to add white chocolate chips and a crushed candy cane for more flavor and texture.
How To Make Red Velvet Sandwich Cookies
Step 1. Use silicone liners to line two baking sheets. Add the butter and sugar into the bowl of a standing mixer and combine on medium using a paddle attachment for 3 minutes until light and fluffy. One at a time, add in the eggs and combine after each addition. Put the peppermint extract and vanilla into the mixture and combine on low before adding in the red food coloring and combining again.
Step 2. Add the flour, cocoa, baking soda, cornstarch, and salt into a large bowl and combine using a whisk. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and combine on low until it forms a soft dough. Leave the mixture on low and add in the white chocolate chips and crushed candy canes until combined. Put the prepared dough into the fridge and cover for approximately 20 minutes.
Step 3. Set the oven to 410 degrees. Lightly flour a flat surface and use a rolling pin to roll out the dough into a 1/2-thick sheet. Cut out 24 circles using a small circular cookie cutter and arrange them onto a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet. Add the sanding sugar and crushed candy canes into a small bowl and combine. Roll each cookie into th mixture and gently press into the cookie before placing back onto the sheet pan. Place in the oven for 10 minutes or until lightly brown on top. Take them out and allow them to cool for 5 minutes before placing them on a wire rack to cool thoroughly
Vanilla Cream Icing
Step 4. In a large mixing bowl, add the butter, powdered sugar, peppermint extract, and vanilla and combine until light and fluffy. Scoop into a piping bag with a round tip. Flip the cookies over and frost the cookie before placing an equally-sized cookie on top to make a sandwich. Press the cookies together slightly to push the frosting to the edges. Continue until all the sandwiches are made. Serve and enjoy!
What Filling Tastes The Best With Red Velvet Sandwich Cookies?
I love the vanilla cream filling in the center of these cookies, however, you can try other types of filling like:
- Chocolate Frosting
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- Raspberry Frosting
Tips & Tricks
- Store the leftover cookies in an airtight container for the best storage method.
- You can keep these cookies at room temperature.
- You can use other types of flavors for these cookies and use food coloring to make them red.
More Red Velvet Recipes:
- Red Velvet Sprinkle Cookies
- Easy Red Velvet Cake Recipe (3 ingredients)
- Red Velvet Sugar Cookies
- Red Velvet Cookie Bars
Red Velvet Sandwich Cookies
- 2 sticks butter unsalted, cubed
- 1 ½ cup sugar
- 2 large eggs room temp
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tsp super red food coloring
- ¼ cup cocoa powder unsweetened
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cup white chocolate chips
- 1 cup candy canes crushed
- ½ cup sanding sugar
- Line 2 baking sheets with silicone liners. Set aside. In the bowl of a stand mixer add the butter and sugar. Using a paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar on medium for 3 minutes. The butter/sugar mixture will appear light in color and fluffy. Add one egg at a time, beating directly after adding. After adding each egg, add the peppermint extract, and vanilla to the mixture. Mix on low speed until combined. Add in the red food coloring, on low speed until combined.
- In a large bowl add both types of flour, cocoa, baking soda, cornstarch, and salt, and whisk to combine. Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture while the mixer is on low speed. Continue beating the mixture until a soft dough is made. With the mixer on low beat in the white chocolate chips and crushed candy canes, and mix on low until combined. Place the dough in the refrigerator, covered, until chilled for about 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 410 degrees. Place the dough on a well-floured surface. Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough to ½ inch of thickness. With a small-sized circle cookie cutter, cut out 24 circles and place them on a baking parchment-covered baking pan. In a small bowl add the sanding sugar and crushed candy canes, and mix to combine. Dip each cookie into the sugar candy cane mixture and lightly press the mixture into the cookie. Place on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown on the top. Remove the cookies from the oven and let them cool for 5 minutes. Then transfer the cookies to wire racks to cool completely
Vanilla cream icing:
- Add the butter, powdered sugar, peppermint extract, and vanilla to a large mixing bowl. Whip using a hand mixer until pale, and fluffy. Fill a piping bag outfitted with a round piping tip, with the vanilla icing. Flip half of the cookies over. Gently squeeze icing onto the cookie. Top the cookie with the cookie for the other half of the cookie sandwich. Gently push the cookie down to push the icing to the edges. Repeat with the remaining cookies