Red Velvet Sprinkle Cookies
Do you have a hard time expressing your feelings? Well, this might be the most straightforward way to show your love this Valentine’s Day. These Red Velvet Sprinkle Heart Cookies are not only tasty but shaped like a heart to give to someone you cherish.
Heart-Shaped Red Velvet Sprinkle Cookies
These Sprinkle cookies are so simple to make and even more delicious. These cookies are shaped like a heart and topped with a white layer of white chocolate frosting. Sprinkled on top are cute Valentine’s Day colored sprinkles. These adorable cookies can be made in no time, so if you are looking for a quick recipe before the day of love comes, this one is for you!
Key Ingredients You Need
- Butter: It is best to use unsalted butter for this recipe. Using unsalted butter will give you control of the flavoring in the recipe. This will allow the rawest and natural flavor to come out in the recipe.
- Cream Cheese: Use softened or room temperature cream cheese to allow ingredients to blend more easily. Using cream cheese in your filling will enhance the flavor and give it a more fluffy and delectable texture.
- Granulated Sugar: In addition to adding a sweeter flavor to a cookie recipe. Granulated sugar caramelizes and absorbs moisture which overall improves the texture and flavor of the cookie.
- Egg: When making cookies, you always want to use room-temperature eggs. It gives the best texture to cookies and helps to prevent cracking.
- Red Gel Food Coloring: Be sure to use food coloring gel and not the liquid form to make it blend easier into the ingredients. Use a drop to a couple of drops to make the desired color of the recipe.
- All-Purpose Flour: All-purpose flour is best to use. However, if you are using self-rising flour, you would eliminate any use of baking powder or baking soda.
- Cornstarch: This will help thicken the cookie batter and give the cookies a more chewy texture.
- Salt: Everyone always thinks it is weird to put salt in desserts because they aren’t salty foods. Adding salt brings out the flavor. You don’t want to skip this step.
- Powdered Sugar: This is the best sugar to use when needing a frosting with a smooth consistency.
- Vanilla Extract: Vanilla is used not only to add an aroma to the recipe but also to enhance the flavor as well for a sweeter and more delicious recipe.
How To Make Red Velvet Sprinkle Cookies
Step 1. Add the flour, cornstarch, cocoa powder, and salt into a medium bowl and whisk to combine. Set the oven to 350 degrees and use parchment paper to line two cookie sheets or silicone mats. Add the butter, cream cheese, and sugar into a standing mixer and combine until smooth and fluffy. Put in the egg yolk, vanilla, and food coloring. Combine the wet and dry ingredients until a dough is formed.
Step 2. Lightly flour a cutting board and roll it out into a 1/4-inch thick sheet and cut out the heart shapes. Arrange them onto the prepared sheets and place them into the oven for 12-14 minutes until the edges are set. Take out and let the cookies cool thoroughly.
Step 3. Add the butter and vanilla into a standing mixer and combine until light and slowly add in the melted white chocolate. Add in the powdered sugar and combine. Place the frosting into the piping bag and cut the tip.
Step 4. Make an outline around the edge of the cookies with the frosting and fill in the middle and use an angled spatula to smooth out. Top with Valentine’s Day Sprinkles and allow it to harden before serving and enjoying.
What Does Red Velvet Taste Like?
Red Velvet is a rich and delicious flavor. It is a chocolate base flavor but the addition of buttermilk and vinegar gives the cookies a flavor that is chocolatey but different than traditional chocolate cake or cookies. Then red velvet is typically paired with a cream cheese frosting with adds a bit more tang to the cookies.
How To Store Red Velvet Sprinkle Cookies?
Place the cookies into an airtight container. Set the cookies in the fridge or freezer to last longer. You don’t want to store the recipe at room temperature because of the cream cheese.
More Cookie Recipes:
- Cosmic Brownie Cookies (Crumble Copycat)
- Peppermint Bark Cookies
- Jammy Dodger Cookies
- Italian Ricotta Cookies
Red Velvet Sprinkle Cookies
- 1 disposable piping bag
- 1 C butter – unsalted
- 4 oz cream cheese – softened
- 1 C sugar
- 1 egg yolk – large
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 tsp red gel food coloring
- 3 1/4 C flour
- 1/4 C cornstarch
- 1/4 C Hershey cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 – 3 in heart-shaped cookie cutter
White Chocolate Frosting
- 1 C butter – unsalted
- 12 oz white chocolate – melted and cooled
- 1 C powdered sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 C Valentine’s Day sprinkles
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, cornstarch, cocoa powder, and salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats
- Using a standing mixer, beat the butter, cream cheese, and sugar until combined, smooth and fluffy
- Beat in the egg yolk, vanilla, and red food coloring
- Gradually beat in the dry ingredients until combined and a dough forms
- Sprinkle flour onto a cutting board and roll the cookie dough to 1/4in thick
- Cut out heart-shaped cookies and place them onto the cookie sheets
- Bake in the oven for 12-14 minutes or until set around the edges
- Remove and allow to cool completely
- Using a standing mixer, beat the butter and vanilla until light in color
- Gradually beat in the melted white chocolate
- Beat in the powdered sugar until combined
- Scoop the frosting into the disposable piping bag and cut the tip-off
- Pipe an outline around the edge of the cookies
- Fill in the center with the frosting and smooth with an angled spatula
- Sprinkle some valentine’s Day sprinkles on top
- Allow the frosting to harden before enjoying the cookies!