Rhubarb Cookies are a fun twist to traditional oatmeal cookies that make a soft and chewy cookie with a wonderful flavor. Enjoy this rhubarb cookie recipe as is or topped with a cream cheese frosting.
Quick & Easy Cookies
If you love a good traditional cookie, then this recipe is for you. This cookie uses rhubarb along with other ingredients to make a soft and tasty cookie in under 15 mins. This is a cookie you can serve for any occasion and will be completely surprised by the unique and delicious flavor.
Key Ingredients You’ll Need
Sugar: You will need brown sugar to put into the cookie batter for a rich flavor as well as powdered sugar to use in the frosting.
Flour: You will need all-purpose flour along with baking soda and baking powder to allow the cookies to rise in the oven.
Spices: Use cinnamon to add additional flavor and salt to bring out the flavor in the cookies.
Rhubarb: You will need to make sure that this is finely diced before adding to the batter.
Cream Cheese Frosting: Using softened cream cheese with butter and milk will give the frosting the perfect creamy and thick consistency.
How To Make Rhubarb Cookies
Step 1. Set the oven to 375 degrees. Add the brown sugar butter, and egg into a large bowl and combine. Put in the flour, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, and baking powder and combine again until a dough forms before adding in the diced rhubarb. Mix all the ingredients until fully incorporated.
Step 2. Form the dough into balls using a 1-inch cookie scoop and arrange it onto a greased cookie tray. Place into the oven for 12-14 minutes or until fully cooked through. Let the cookies cool on the tray for 5 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool thoroughly.
Step 3. In a mixing bowl, add the cream cheese and butter and combine until fluffy. Put in the powdered sugar and vanilla and combine again until smooth. Pour in the milk as needed until you have a thick yet spreadable frosting.
What Is A Rhubarb?
A Rhubarb is a vegetable that is known for being used in cooking and baking. It is a thick leafy green stalk that can be reddish or green.
How To Store Rhubarb Cookies?
Place the cookies into an airtight container for the best storage method. You can store the leftover cookies in the fridge or freezer depending on how long you want them to last. They can last for up to 3 months in the fridge.
More Cookie Recipes:
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup butter softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 ¾ cups flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 cup rhubarb finely diced
Cream Cheese Frosting (optional)
- 4 oz cream cheese room temperature
- 4 Tbsp butter softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1–3 Tbsp milk as needed
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- In a large bowl, beat brown sugar, butter, and egg together.
- Add flour, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Beat well until dough forms.Add diced rhubarb and mix again.
- Using a 1-inch cookie dough scoop, form balls of dough and place them on a greased cookie sheet.
- Bake cookies for 12-14 minutes or until baked through.
- Allow cooling on cookie sheet for 5 minutes.
- Then place on a rack until cool completely before frosting.
- Beat the cream cheese and the butter until combined and fluffy.
- Add the powdered sugar and vanilla and beat until smooth.
- Add milk as needed to get a spreadable consistency.