If you want a simple and easy recipe to make, then you will want to keep reading to learn How to Make Hobo Dinner Foil Packets. Hobo Packets are a quick and delicious way to make a dinner recipe for you and your loved ones. This recipe will take just under 30 minutes to make.
Hobo Dinner Foil Packets
These Hobo Dinner Foil Packets are so good and packed with flavor. All you need to do is place all your ingredients into foil and cook on a grill. This recipe contains a ton of seasonings, veggies, and meat. This is just overall a filling recipe to enjoy for dinner. If you love this recipe, then these Grilled Sausage Foil Packets or Grilled Santa Fe Chicken Foil Packets will be other great choices to enjoy for any occasion.
- Beef- You will need lean ground beef for this recipe.
- Mayonnaise- This will add a creamier consistency.
- Worcestershire Sauce- This will add a smoky flavor to the recipe.
- Minced onion- You will need dried minced onion for this recipe.
- Potatoes- You will need baby or small potatoes for this recipe.
- Carrots- These will need to be peeled and sliced.
- Onion- You will need a white or yellow onion for this recipe.
- Olive Oil- Use vegetable or canola oil as a substitute.
- Seasoning- You can use store-bought Italian seasoning or homemade.
- Cheese- You will be using Colby Jack Cheese for this recipe.
- Parsley- You can use fresh parsley for an optional garnish.
How to Make Hobo Packets
To start, add the beef, mayo, Worcestershire sauce, and minced onion into a large bowl and combine.
First, form the meat mixture into 6 patties.
Secondly, wash and prep your potatoes, carrots, and onion and put them into a large bowl.
Next, add half of the oil and half of the seasoning into the veggies and combine.
Then, add the remaining oil and seasoning and toss to combine again.
Next, separate the veggies into 6 packets and put one patty on top.
Now, fold and seal the foil and place it on a grill at medium heat or 325 degrees.
Cook the packets for 20-25 minutes, making sure to flip and shake to keep the meat and veggies from burning.
After, take the packets off the heat when the veggies are soft and the patty is medium-well done which is 150 degrees.
Finally, serve right away and store the leftovers in the fridge for later.
Can you make foil packets ahead of time?
Yes, prepare the food ahead of time if desired. You can cut up and prep all of the ingredients ahead of time. Once everything is prepped, you can place it into a container until you are ready to cook it. You can make the packets about 36 hours before you are ready to bake them.
Can you use other meats in Hobo packets?
Yes, you can use other meats for these Hobo packets. Replace the meat or add more kinds of meat if desired. Use meat like sausage, pork, steak, turkey, and more. Depending on the meat you use and the thickness, it will change the time it takes to cook it. Feel free to switch up the ingredients for your liking.
We spotted this Hobo Dinner from Big Red Kitchen (site no longer around) with Hamburger Patties, Potatoes, and Asparagus.
What to Serve with Hobo Dinners?
Serve a variety of things with Hobo Dinners. Enjoy this recipe with roasted vegetables like asparagus, potatoes, green beans, and more. You can also make some stew to have on the side or enjoy with a side of bread or salad.
Some other recipes that will be perfect with Hobo Dinners are :
Hobo Dinner Foil Packets
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onions
- 1 pound baby potatoes or small potatoes cut in half
- 3 large carrots peeled and sliced
- 1 small white or yellow onion sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning divided, homemade or store-bought
- 8 ounces Colby Jack cheese grated
- Fresh parsley for garnish optional
- In a large bowl, combine ground beef, mayo, Worcestershire sauce, and minced onions and well combined
- Form into 6 patties
- Clean and cut potatoes, carrots, and onion and add to a large bowl
- Drizzle with half of the oil and sprinkle with half of the Italian seasoning, stir
- Drizzle with remaining oil and sprinkle remaining seasoning, stir
- Divide vegetables into 6 packets and place hamburger patty on top of vegetables
- Fold foil over and seal packet
- Heat grill to medium heat or 325 degrees F
- Place packets on the grill and cook for 20-25 minutes turning and slightly shaking packet often to prevent burning
- Remove when vegetables are tender and hamburger is 150 degrees F for medium-well done
- Serve immediately
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator