These Santa Hat Jello Shots are such a huge hit for the Holidays. They are made with red and white Jell-o in cups topped with a buttercream and a strawberry Santa hat! You can make them with alcohol for adults or without alcohol for a kid-friendly Christmas treat.
Santa Hat Jello Shots
I love Jell-o shots. They are perfect for many different celebrations and are perfect for holiday parties. This Christmas Jello shot recipe is so easy to make with simple ingredients. If you want to make these strawberry jello shots for a Christmas party that will have kids, you can easily skip the alcohol. Replace the alcohol with water or a flavored punch or soda.
What You’ll Need
- Jell-o: You will need two types of gelatin for this recipe: Strawberry-flavored gelatin and Unflavored gelatin packets
- Mix-ins: To make the gelatin, you will add water, vodka (or more water to make a nonalcoholic version), and sweetened condensed milk.
- Buttercream frosting: The frosting is a combination of butter and powdered sugar.
- Fresh strawberries: You will need to cut the leaves off.
- Christmas sprinkles
- Plastic shot cups: the 2 oz size work the best.
How to Make Santa Hat Jello Shots
- Make the Strawberry Jell-o: Boil your water and combine 1 cup of boiling water and your strawberry Jello mix. Whisk until the Jell-o is dissolved. Add in your ½ cup of cold water and ½ cup of vodka. Whisk well. Carefully pour the mixture into the plastic jello shot cups about half of the way up. Place the tray in your refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Make your White Layer. Using a small saucepan over medium heat, add your unflavored gelatin and one cup of water. Stir until the gelatin is all dissolved. Remove from the heat. Whisk in the sweetened condensed milk and ½ cup vodka. Set aside to cool a bit. Spoon the white mixture into each cup on top of the strawberry layer filling. Place back in the fridge for 30 minutes until all set.
- Make the buttercream. Whip the butter until light and fluffy with an electric mixer. Add in the powdered sugar and beat well. Place the buttercream into a plastic bag with the edge snipped off. Place an upside down strawberry on top of each Jell-o shot. Pipe the buttercream around the edges of the strawberry with a dollop on top.
Tips and Tricks for Making Santa’s Hat Jello Shots
- Storing Leftovers: Santa Hat Jell-o Shots last for 3 days in the refrigerator. Make sure they are covered properly to prevent them from drying out.
- Cream Topping: If you prefer a lighter topping, you may substitute whipped cream or cool whip for the buttercream frosting. However, the whipped cream tends to melt more quickly, so you may want to add it just before serving.
- Garnishing: For an extra festive touch, garnish your Santa Hat Jell-o Shots with Christmas sprinkles. This will make them not only tasty but also visually appealing! You could also add a tiny candy cane or a mini Christmas tree on top of each shot.
- Flavor Variations: While this recipe calls for strawberry Jell-o and vodka, you can easily switch it up with different flavors. Use flavored vodkas, like strawberry vodka or vanilla vodka. Try using raspberry Jell-o with tequila for a tangy twist, or orange Jell-o with rum for a tropical flair.
- Double the Recipe: If you’re hosting a larger party just double or triple this recipe. Just make sure you have enough Jell-o shot cups and ingredients.
More Christmas Jello Shots
Santa Hat Jello Shots
- On a tray set out your cups, set aside for later. This is also a good time to make sure you have room in your fridge for the tray of jello shots.
- In a large measuring cup with a spout or a mixing bowl with a spout add 1 cup of boiling water and your strawberry jello.
- Whisk until the jello is all dissolved.
- Next add in your ½ cup of cold water and ½ cup of vodka. Whisk again.
- Carefully pour the mixture into the cups about a half of the way up. Place the tray in your refrigerator for 30 minutes or until that layer is set.
- Meanwhile make your white jello.
- In a small sauce pan add your unflavored gelatin and one cup of water over medium heat. Stir until the gelatin is all dissolved.
- Remove from the heat and add in the sweetened condensed milk and ½ cup vodka. Set aside to cool a bit.
- Carefully spoon the white mixture into each shot cup on top of the strawberry layer filling the cups almost to the top.
- Place back in the fridge for 30 minutes until all set.
- Meanwhile make the buttercream.
- Using an electric mixer whip the butter until light and fluffy. Add in the powdered sugar and mix until light and fluffy.
- Place the buttercream into a ziploc bag with the edge snipped off.
- Place a strawberry on top of each jello shot.
- Pipe the buttercream around the edges of the strawberry with a dollop on top. Serve and enjoy!