With just 10 ingredients, this Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken is an easy dump-and-go crockpot recipe. It’s perfect for busy weeknights. Just dump everything into the slow cooker in the morning and with just a few minutes of prep in the evening, dinner is ready! Perfect with some veggies and steamed rice.
Easy Dump-and-Go Slow Cooker Recipe
I think it’s important to have a few recipes on hand for those days when you have 0 ambition or time to cook but still need to provide a fulfilling, nutritious dinner to the family. For me, those busy weeknight recipes consist of a lot of crockpot dishes – especially ones where I can toss all the ingredients together in the morning and forget about it until dinnertime.
This Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken is a perfect example of a dump-and-go recipe. All you need to do is cut up the chicken, whisk together the sauce ingredients, and add it all together. Let the slow cooker do its thing, take a few minutes to thicken up the sauce, and dinner is ready.
To make it a complete meal, I either add some extra veggies into the dish or make some extras on the side, along with some steamed rice. Easy, healthy, and super tasty!
What You’ll Need
Just 10 ingredients are needed for this easy slow cooker recipe.
- Boneless chicken breasts
- Brown sugar – Adds the sweetness to the teriyaki sauce.
- Soy sauce – Adds the umami flavor to the teriyaki sauce.
- Apple cider vinegar – Balances the sweetness of the other ingredients.
- Ground ginger
- Cornstarch – Thickens the sauce.
- Sesame seeds – Added before serving.
If desired, you can add in some additional veggies for a pop of color and flavor. Here are a few ideas:
- Red bell pepper (or green, yellow, etc)
- Snap peas
How to Make Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken
Here’s how to make this crockpot teriyaki chicken.
- Cut the chicken. Cut the chicken into chunks and place it in the crockpot.
- Add the sauce. Combine the sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, ginger, garlic, and pepper. Pour over the chicken.
- Cook. Cook on low for 4 to 5 hours. Remove the chicken from the slow cooker.
- Thicken the sauce. Strain the liquid into a skillet and bring it to a boil. Whisk together the cornstarch and water then slowly add the mixture into the sauce. Reduce to a simmer for 2 to 3 minutes to thicken then toss the chicken back in until it heats through.
- Serve. Sprinkle with the sesame seeds and serve.
Tips for Success
There are just a few things to keep in mind when making this slow cooker teriyaki chicken.
- Cut the chicken into equal-sized pieces. Be sure all pieces of chicken are more or less the same size so they cook evenly.
- Some veggies can be added later. If you decide to add some additional veggies, those with quicker cook times may not need the cook the entire time with the chicken.
- Add the cornstarch slurry slowly. Instead of dumping the cornstarch slurry in one go, take a few seconds to slowly whisk it in so it evenly disperses in the sauce.
My favorite way to serve this crockpot chicken recipe is with some steamed rice and veggies. If I added extra veggies into the dish, then I’ll just serve it all over some rice. If you’re looking for something low-calorie, cauliflower rice, quinoa, or brown rice can be used instead.
How to Store & Reheat Leftovers
Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days. You can reheat them on the stovetop or in the microwave. I recommend storing the rice separately if you made some to serve with the teriyaki chicken.
More Slow Cooker Recipes:
- Crockpot Chicken and Gravy
- BBQ Pulled Chicken
- Crockpot Crack Chicken with Bacon
- Slow Cooker Olive Garden Chicken Pasta
Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken
- 2 lbs boneless chicken breasts cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1/4 chopped red bell pepper optional
- sesame seeds
- Cut your chicken breasts into chunks.
- Place the chicken in the crockpot.
- In a medium bowl combine sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, ginger, garlic, and pepper. Pour over chicken and cook on low 4-5 hours.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker, set aside.
- Strain the liquid from the crock pot into a skillet and bring to a boil.
- In a small bowl whisk cornstarch and water until combined.
- Slowly add cornstarch mixture to boiling liquid and reduce to a simmer. Allow sauce to thicken for 2-3 minutes then toss the chicken back in.
- Coat chicken with sauce and let heat through. Sprinkle with sesame seeds just prior to serving.