This homemade soft pretzel recipe will make you never want to buy them at the mall again! And you will not believe how easy it to make. You are just moments away from the most delicious, treat you have ever tasted.
Soft Pretzel Recipe
This Soft Pretzel Recipe is simple and delicious. The texture is so soft and fluffy. You can have these stored in the fridge or freezer after baking to enjoy whenever and wherever you want. These are a sweet and salty snack. While these are soft, if you just love pretzels in general, then try out these Easy Rolo Pretzel Bites or these Peanut Butter Pretzel Chocolate Clusters.
- Active Dry Yeast- This will allow the dough to rise.
- Sugar- This will add sweetness to the dough.
- Water- This will need to be very warm.
- Butter- Use unsalted butter to control the amount of salt in the recipe.
- Salt– This will bring out the flavor.
- Flour- Use all-purpose flour for the best results.
- Baking Soda- This will allow the dough to double in size.
How to Make Soft Pretzels
To start, set the oven to 350 degrees.
First, add the yeast, sugar, and warm water into a large bowl and allow it to slightly foam up for about five minutes.
Secondly, once they use begins to foam, put in salt and melted butter.
Thirdly, begin adding in the flour, one cup at a time until the dough begins to shape into a mound, without being sticky.
Next, take the dough out of the bowl, and use your hands to knead it on a lightly floured surface until smooth and shaped into a bowl.
In addition, grease a large bowl with oil and put in the dough, and allow it to sit covered for about 30 minutes.
Furthermore, place the water into a heat-safe bowl on high for about two minutes while the dough is resting.
Next, put in the baking soda and combine until it begins to foam and dissolve and set aside.
Building the Pretzels:
To start, separate the dough into eight portions.
First, use your hands to roll them into ropes, about a half-inch in diameter and 16 to 18 inches in length.
Secondly, you will shape the dough into the shape you want and add baking soda into a shallow bowl. Place the formed dough into the bowl.
Thirdly, it sit and soak in the bath while you begin making the next piece.
Next, line a baking sheet with parchment paper and transfer your soaked pretzels onto the sheet, and repeat the process until they have been shaped and soaked.
In addition, you will place them into the oven for 8 to 10 minutes until they’re a light brown on top.
Finally, take the baking sheet out of the oven, and using a pastry brush, brush them with melted butter and the desired amount of salt.
To finish, topped with cheddar cheese mustard or marinara sauce.
Serve and Enjoy!
What gives this soft pretzel recipe their flavor?
What gives the pretzels flavor is the soak. You can make the dough with a simple yeast-risen dough. The trick is dipping them into a liquid wash before baking. The wash is a mix of water and baking soda. This will give the pretzels an amazing color, texture, and flavor.
How to Store Soft Pretzels
You can store them at room temperature for a few days. Make sure they are in an airtight container. You can also store them in the refrigerator or you can place them in the freezer.
More Pretzel Recipes:
- Air Fryer Pretzel Crusted Chicken Tenders
- Shamrock Pretzels
- Strawberry Pretzel Salad
- Flower Pretzel Bites
Soft Pretzel Recipe
- 2 cups water
- ¼ cup baking soda
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter melted (half a stick)
- 1 tbsp coarse salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- In a large bowl, combine the yeast, sugar, and warm water. Let the bowl sit for about 5 minutes to allow the yeast to slightly foam.
- Once the yeast has a ring of froth around the edges, add in the salt and melted butter.
- Mix in the flour, one cup at a time, and stir until dough begins to take shape without being sticky.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and knead on a lightly floured surface until it becomes smooth and can be shaped into a round ball of dough.
- Lightly oil the bottom of a large bowl, and then add the ball of dough to the bowl. Cover and allow the dough to sit for about 30 minutes.
- While the dough is resting, in a shallow, medium, microwave-safe bowl, heat the water on high for about two minutes. Add the baking soda and stir until the baking soda foams and dissolves. Set the bowl aside until the pretzels are rolled.
- Once the dough has rested, cut into 8 even sections. Then roll each piece into a long rope, about ½ inch in diameter, and 16-18 inches in length.
- Shape the rope into a pretzel shape and then place it in the shallow bowl with the baking soda mixture. Let the pretzel soak in the bath as you roll and shape the next piece.
- Transfer the soaked pretzel to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, and continue the process until the pretzels have all been shaped and soaked.
- Bake the pretzels for 8-10 minutes until they turn a golden brown on top.
- Once you take the pretzels out of the oven, brush them with the melted butter, and sprinkle the desired amount of coarse salt on top.
- Serve with cheddar cheese, mustard, or marinara sauce.