Featuring juicy chicken breasts stuffed with a seasoned cream cheese and spinach mixture, these Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breast are a restaurant-quality dish you can prepare at home in under an hour.
The Best Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breast Recipe
Want to impress guests without a ton of effort or fancy cooking techniques? Try this spinach stuffed chicken breast recipe!
Stuffed chicken breast is one of those dishes that always seems to impress, mostly because the end result looks fancier than it actually is, and this stuffed chicken breast with spinach is no exception.
Tender, juicy chicken breast is stuffed with a mixture of fresh spinach, cream cheese, parmesan, garlic, and a few seasonings, then baked to perfection. From start to finish, it takes just about an hour to prepare. Add some mashed potatoes and steamed veggies and you have a simple dinner ready to impress!
Why You’ll Love These Stuffed Chicken Breast with Spinach
This spinach stuffed chicken breast recipe is quickly becoming one of my favorite chicken dinners. Here’s why.
- Restaurant-quality. The end result of this stuffed chicken breast looks like something that you would order in a restaurant. I think it tastes even better!
- Easier than it looks. Many people think that stuffed chicken breasts are difficult to make but this recipe will quickly prove you wrong.
- Only a handful of ingredients. You’ll need chicken breasts, fresh spinach, cream cheese, and just a few other ingredients to make this recipe.
What You’ll Need
These spinach stuffed chicken breasts may be loaded with mouthwatering flavor but they only require a handful of ingredients to prepare. See the recipe card below for measurements.
- Chicken breasts – You’ll need boneless chicken breasts as it’s difficult to stuff bone-in chicken breasts.
- Olive oil
- Shallots & garlic – Aromatics added for extra flavor.
- Spinach – Fresh spinach is the star of this stuffed chicken breasts recipe.
- Seasonings – Salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, and red pepper flakes add more flavor to the filling.
- Cream cheese – Softened, so it’s easier to combine with the other filling ingredients.
- Parmesan cheese – Freshly grated will work best. Avoid the green cans of parmesan!
How to Make Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breast
While these spinach stuffed chicken breasts may appear like something you’d find in a restaurant, they’re actually quite simple to make!
- Cut the chicken. Use a sharp knife to make a horizontal slit in each chicken breast to create a pocket. Be sure to not cut all the way through.
- Cool the spinach. Heat a tablespoon of olive oil then saute the minced shallots and garlic until fragrant. Add the spinach and cook until it wilts, about 2-3 minutes. Set aside.
- Make the filling. Mix together the spices in a small bowl. In another bowl, combine the cream cheese, parmesan, half of the spices, and the spinach mixture. Stir until well combined.
- Stuff the chicken. Drizzle the remaining oil over the chicken and season with the remaining spice mixture. Stuff each chicken with the spinach mixture.
- Bake. Transfer the stuffed chicken breasts to the baking dish and bake for 30 to 45 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
- Enjoy. Let the chicken breasts rest for a few minutes then serve and enjoy.
Tips for the Best Stuffed Chicken Breast
Here are a few tips for perfecting this stuffed chicken breast with spinach recipe.
- Can I use frozen spinach? Yes, you can use frozen spinach, but make sure to thaw and drain it well before adding it to the stuffing mixture. If you do not drain it, it will water down the filling mixture.
- Be sure to not cut the chicken all the way through. You want to create a pocket for the filling, not cut the chicken in half.
- How do you know when stuffed chicken breast is done? The exact cooking time will depend on the thickness of the chicken breasts. You’ll know they’re done when the juices run clear and the internal temperature reaches 165F.
I love to serve this spinach stuffed chicken with sides like mashed potatoes or rice and steamed vegetables. Broccoli and green beans are great with this. The filling creates enough sauce that you can spoon it over the chicken or mashed potatoes, which I highly recommend.
You could also opt for a big side salad instead or something like cauliflower salad too.
How to Store & Reheat Leftovers
- Fridge. Store leftover spinach stuffed chicken breast in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Reheat. The easiest way to reheat is in the oven, covered with foil. The microwave will also work.
More Chicken Recipes
- Melt in Your Mouth Chicken
- Chicken Parmesan
- Slow Cooker Olive Garden Chicken Pasta
- Creamy Garlic Parmesan Chicken
Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breast
- 4 Chicken Breasts Boneless
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil 1 Tablespoon Divided
- 2 Shallots Peeled and Minced
- 2 Garlic Cloves Minced
- 3 Cups Chopped Fresh Spinach
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1/4 Teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 4 Ounces Cream Cheese Softened
- 1 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Prepare a 9×13-inch baking dish with butter or non-stick cooking spray. Lay the chicken breasts flat on a clean surface. Use a sharp knife to make a horizontal slit in each chicken breast, creating a pocket for the spinach stuffing. Be careful not to cut all the way through.
- In a skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add the minced shallots and garlic, and saute until they become fragrant and slightly softened.
- Add the chopped spinach to the skillet and cook until it wilts down, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together the salt, pepper, Italian, and crushed red pepper.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the softened cream cheese, grated parmesan cheese, half of the mixed spices, and sauteed spinach mixture. Stir until well combined.
- Drizzle the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil over the chicken breasts and rub it all over. Season the chicken breasts with the other half of the spice mixture.
- Stuff each breast with the spinach and cheese mixture, dividing it evenly among the four pieces.
- Place the stuffed chicken breasts in the prepared baking dish and bake in the preheated oven for about 30-45 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the juices run clear. The internal temperature should reach 165°F (74°C).
- Once cooked, remove the stuffed chicken breasts from the oven and let them rest for a few minutes before serving. Enjoy!