Whopper Cake – Malted Milk Ball Cake
Anyone who loves the flavors of Whopper Malted Milk Balls is going to absolutely love this Whopper Cake. This Malted Milk Ball Cake brings together the flavors of a rich butter cake with the malted milk flavor. This cake is them topped with Whoppers to make it an absolutely delicious cake.
Whopper Cake – Malted Milk Ball Cake
It is no surprise that I love cake. I also love candy. When I can make a cake that brings these things together, I am in love. This malted milk ball cake brings together the unique flavor of malted milk with butter cake. The combination is a moist, flavorful cake that is incredibly easy to make.
- Butter cake mix – Using a cake mix saves time when making this cake.
- Water- Water is part of making the cake mix cake.
- Unsalted butter- I always recommend using unsalted butter. It lets you control the salt in the recipe
- Eggs- Room temperature eggs are best.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder- Unsweetened cocoa powder makes this a delicious chocolate cake.
- Malted milk powder- Malted milk powder is what is used when making Whoppers which this cake is based on.
- Powdered Sugar- Powdered sugar is the best sugar for the frosting.
- Whopper candy- You will be using the Whoppers to decorate the cake.
- Semi sweet chocolate chips- The semi sweet chocolate chips are used with the whipping cream to make the chocolate ganache.
- Heavy Whipping cream- You will need to make sure you are using heavy cream. It works best for the ganache.
How to Make a Whopper Cake
Beat together the ingredients for the cake until it is smooth and combined.
Pour the batter into 3 prepared cake pans and bake it in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 25-35 minutes or until it is done.
The cake is done when a toothpick comes out clean and then let the cake cool completely.
While the cake is cooling, make the frosting.
Combine all of the frosting ingredients and beat until it is smooth.
Put 2 cups of the frosting in a piping bag and set it aside.
Remove the cakes from the pans and use a cake slicer to remove the domes to make the cake level.
Place the first cake layer onto a cake board and use about 1 cup of frosting, frost the cake layer evenly.
Add the 2nd layer on top and then use a cup of frosting and spread it evenly.
Place the last layer on top and frost the rest of the cake.
Take crushed whoppers and coat the bottom.
Place the cake in the refrigerator while making the ganache.
Use a small pot and heat the heavy cream.
Once it is heated, pour it over the chocolate chips in a bowl.
Let it sit for 1 minute and then stir it until it is smooth.
Put the ganache in a squeeze bottle and pipe dollops down the sides of the cake.
Pipe dollops of frosting along the cake and then place Whoppers on top of the frosting.
What is Malted Milk?
Malted milk is a powdered gruel that is used in baking because it has a very distinctive flavor. Malted milk is a combination of malted barley, wheat, and evaporated milk.
Do I Have to Refrigerate Malted Milk Cake?
This cake is made with a buttercream frosting so it does not need to be stored in a refrigerator. Whenever possible, I like to store cake at room temperature because the cake does not dry out as fast this way.
More Cake Recipes
- Hippie Tie Dye Cake
- Instant Pot Mango Cake Recipe
- Homemade Yellow Cake
- Instant Pot Orange Cake Recipe
- Strawberry Margarita Cake with Tequila Frosting
Whopper Cake - Malted Milk Ball Cake
- 2 boxes butter cake mix
- 2 C water
- ⅔ C unsalted butter softened
- 6 large eggs
Chocolate Malt Icing:
- 3 C unsalted butter softened
- 1 ½ C unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 ½ C heavy whipping cream
- 1 ½ C malted milk powder
- 7 C Powdered Sugar
- 2 box whopper candy half crushed and set aside
Chocolate Ganache Ingredients
- 1 C semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 C Heavy Whipping cream
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spay the cake pans with baking spray
Using the standing mixer, beat all cake ingredients together until smooth and combined
Divide the batter between the 3 cake pans
Bake in the oven for 25-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
Allow to cool completely
Malted Frosting Directions
Using a standing mixer, beat together all the frosting ingredients until combined and smooth
Scoop about 2 C into the piping bag, set aside
Building the cake directions:
Carefully remove the cakes from the cake pans and onto the cake boards
Using the cake slicer, remove the domes from the cakes to create even slices
Using one of the cake slices, scoop 1 C of frosting onto the top of the cake slice and spread evenly
Place a second cake slice on top of the first layer of frosting
Scoop another cup of frosting on top and spread evenly
Place the last cake layer on top
Frost cake with remaining frosting
Take some of the crushed whoppers and coat the bottom
Place the cake in the fridge while you make the chocolate gananche
Chocolate Ganache Directions
Using a small pot, pour the heavy whipping cream into it and place on medium heat
Pour the chocolate chips into a medium heat safe bowl
Once the heavy whipping cream starts to simmer, remove from heat and pour onto the chocolate chips
Allow to sit for 1 minute before whisking until smooth
Pour the chocolate ganache into the squeeze bottle
Decorating the cake:
Using the ganache, pipe dollops down the sides of the cake
Using the frosting in the piping bag, pipe dollops of frosting
Place a whopper into the frosting dollops
Sprinkle some crushed whoppers around the top of the frosting
Cut and enjoy!