When you want a quick snack, make yourself this incredibly easy 3-2-1 Microwave Mug Cake. Simply whisk together the cake mixes and keep on hand for whenever you need a sweet treat. No need to heat up the oven–you can have a mug of warm cake in two minutes from start to finish!
3-2-1 Microwave Mug Cake
Sometimes you just need some cake! We love cake so much, but don’t always want to make a whole big cake when we just need one, two, or three individual servings. This easy mug cake mix makes it simple to microwave a little cake any time.
3-2-1 Microwave Mug Cake is a great recipe for kids to make! Here are some other kid-approved recipes that are quick and easy: Pepperoni Pizza Pockets | Cake Batter Blondies | Crunchwrap Supreme | Ice Cream Bread | Fluffernutter Sandwich
Here’s what you’ll need to make 3-2-1 Microwave Mug Cake (the exact measurements and full recipe instructions are below in the easy to print recipe card):
- Boxed angel food cake mix – the angel food cake mix contains egg whites and make it possible to make an easy cake with just the mixes and some water.
- Boxed white cake mix – any brand will work.
- Prepared frosting – this is optional, but really makes it taste amazing.
- Sprinkles – add sprinkles if you like.
You’ll also need some water when you make your mug cake.
How to Make 3-2-1 Microwave Mug Cake Mix
Pour both dry cake mixes into a large bowl and whisk well to completely combine the two mixes.
Store the cake mix in a large jar with a lid, an airtight food storage container, or a gallon size zip top bag.
Tip: Write instructions on a label to attach to the storage container, or write the instructions on the zip top bag to make it easy for people to make their cake.
How to Make a Mug Cake
In a clean microwave-safe coffee mug, combine 3 tablespoons of the cake mix with 2 tablespoons of water.
Stir well in the mug until completely combined.
Microwave the cake batter in the mug on high for 1 minute. While still warm, add some frosting and sprinkles if you wish.
You can make this cake in any flavor that you can find. Just be sure to keep the angel food cake mix, then add any other flavor. You can make chocolate, yellow, strawberry, lemon, and so many other flavors of mug cake. Get creative!
How to Store the Mug Cake Mix
Keep the mug cake mix in an airtight food storage container at room temperature. It will stay fresh for up to six months if stored well.
More Recipes You’ll Enjoy
3-2-1 Microwave Mug Cake
- 1 box dry angel food cake mix
- 1 box dry white cake mix
- Prepared frosting optional
- Sprinkles optional
- Pour both dry cake mixes into a large bowl and whisk well to completely combine the two mixes.
- Store the cake mix in a large jar with a lid, an airtight food storage container, or a gallon size zip top bag.
To make the mug cake:
- In a clean microwave-safe coffee mug, combine 3 tablespoons of the cake mix with 2 tablespoons of water. Stir well in the mug until completely combined.
- Microwave the cake batter in the mug on high for 1 minute.
- While still warm, add some frosting and sprinkles if you wish.