Satisfy all those Taco Bell cravings right at home, with your own Homemade Crunchwrap Supreme! This easy and healthier copycat recipe packs all the punchy flavor of your favorite taco takeout.
Easy Taco Bell Crunchwrap Copycat Recipe
This Crunchwrap Supreme recipe has everything to satisfy even the wildest Taco Bell craving! Melty nacho cheese, seasoned beef and veggies are wrapped up together with all the flavor and none of the added grease and calories. The resulting homemade crunchwrap is cheesy, crunchy, and utterly delicious!
Copycat recipes are just the best for saving money (not to mention health points!). Some of my favorites are these Homemade Apple Hand Pies (McDonald’s Copycat) and Copycat Air Fryer Chick-Fil-A Nuggets.
Is a Crunchwrap Supreme Healthy?
Fast food is notorious for its calories, saturated fats, excess sugars and sodium in the name of (admittedly) addictive flavors. While the traditional Crunchwrap Supreme is far from a beacon of health, making your own at home means:
- Using fresh, homemade ingredients
- Cutting out excess additives, fats, sodium and sugars (basically, all the not-so-great stuff. Plus the calories by association!)
- Knowing exactly what’s going into your wraps in terms of meat quality
- Customizing your homemade crunchwraps with your favorite healthy fillings!
All in all, a Copycat Crunchwrap Supreme made at home is miles healthier that the Taco Bell original. And just as supremely satisfying!
What You’ll Need
- Ground Beef – Aim for 80-90% lean beef. A higher fat content will mean more flavor, but it will also need to be drained of any extra grease after cooking. You can also swap our beef with chicken, turkey, or otherwise. In any case, don’t forget to season your ground meat with the best homemade taco seasoning!
- Tortillas – The large, burrito size flour tortillas are best for this recipe.
- Tostada Shells – These act as the “crunch” in your wrap. You can find tostada shells alongside the taco kits or in the international food aisle of most major grocery stores. However, if you struggle to find the real deal, tortilla chips or Doritos will also work!
- Queso – You can’t go wrong with homemade white queso, but store-bought works in a pinch.
- Veggies – Shredded iceberg lettuce and diced tomatoes for the vegetable filling.
- Cheese – I use shredded Monterey Jack Cheese. You can use Sharp Cheddar, Pepper Jack Cheese, or a Mexican Cheese blend as well.
- Sour Cream – For the filling as well as for optional dipping. Greek yogurt is another tangy alternative!
How to Make a Homemade Crunchwrap Supreme
You won’t believe how easy it is to make your own Taco Bell takeout at home. Here’s how to make this Crunchwrap Supreme:
Prep the Ingredients. Carefully rip or cut one of the flour tortillas into quarters (these will be used for covering the pocket hole when building your wrap). You’ll also need to cook, drain, and season the ground beef.
Build the Wrap. Place a spoonful of ground meat into the center of the tortilla, leaving enough room at the sides to allow for the tortilla to fold. Drizzle a bit of the queso over top of the beef. Next, spread a dollop of sour cream over a tostada, before placing this on top of the beef and queso layer. Add the veggie fillings, followed by the cheese. Lastly, lay one of the tortilla quarters over all the ingredients.
Fold. Fold the edges of the tortilla towards the center, pleating the wrap as you go. Work slow and steady, making sure to seal everything in!
Cook. Place the folded crunch wrap into a preheated pan. Allow the base of the wrap to cook to a golden brown, then flip it to toast the other side. Repeat this step with the remaining folded wraps.
Top or dip your homemade crunchwraps in your favorite add-ons, such as sour cream, guacamole, salsa, or taco sauce. Serve and enjoy!
Tips for Success
- If Your Tortilla Shell Is Unfolding: Once it’s folded and in the pan, try pressing the top gently with the underside of a second frying pan or weightier cast iron pan to help hold it together. You can also make your homemade crunchwraps in a panini press!
- If You’re Using Homemade Queso: You may need to let it sit out for a bit or heat it up to bring it to room temperature (this often isn’t necessary with store bought queso).
- If You Don’t Have Tostada Shells: If you can’t get your hands on authentic tostada shells for the tostada layer, you can sub in Doritos, corn tortilla chips, or hard taco shells! Just place them over the ground beef and spread a thin layer of sour cream over top.
- Chicken Crunchwrap Supreme (or Otherwise): You can use many other meat fillings apart from ground beef for this recipe. Shredded chicken, ground pork, sliced or cubed steak, or ground chorizo sausage are all great options.
- Vegetarian Crunchwrap Supreme: Meatless grounds can be used in place of beef or meat as a vegetarian-friendly version. You can also use other vegetarian taco fillings like refried beans, black beans, olives, and diced bell peppers to stuff your tortilla wrap.
- Make It Dairy Free: Swap the sour cream for a dairy-free yogurt (like coconut), use dairy-free shredded cheese, and an alternative like cashew queso in place of the regular kind.
When it comes to serving your homemade crunchwrap, there are so many dipping sauces to pair with this recipe! You can’t go wrong with classics like sour cream, salsa, guac, and hot sauce. And then there are these awesome and easy dip ideas to try:
- White Queso Dip
- Rotel Dip
- Mexican Corn Dip
- 7 Layer Dip
- Homemade Ranch Dressing (because Ranch goes with everything!)
You can really take Taco Tuesday to new heights with these homemade crunchwraps. Serve them as part of a larger meal with Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Quesadillas, Chicken Fajita Nachos, and Bean Chili.
How to Store and Reheat Extras
A homemade crunchwrap is best eaten the day it’s made, as the lettuce and fillings tend to quickly lose their freshness. However, if you do have leftovers, these can be stored in the fridge for up to 2 days.
To reheat, I recommend first zapping your crunchwrap in the microwave for about 2 minutes to heat it through. Next, place your crunch wrap in a 350F oven for 5 minutes to revive the crunchy outside.
Can I Freeze This?
These easy homemade crunchwraps are great to make ahead for an easy freezer meal or snack!
After assembling your crunchwraps, place them on a baking sheet in a single layer to freeze until they’re solid. Once frozen, transfer them to a freezer bag or container (if needed, use parchment paper between layers to keep them from sticking).
Bake frozen wraps right from frozen in a 400F oven for about 15 minutes per side, or until both sides are evenly toasted and the centers are heated through.
More Flavorful Taco Recipes
- Easy Layered Taco Pie
- Taco Lasagna
- Fritos Taco Salad
- Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
- Slow Cooker Queso Chicken Tacos
- Sheet Pan Steak Fajitas
Homemade Crunchwrap Supreme
- 5 burrito size flour tortillas
- 1- pound ground beef cooked & drained (and seasoned if desired)
- ½ cup salsa con queso
- 4 to stada shells
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup shredded lettuce
- ½ cup tomatoes diced
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese shredded
- Additional sour cream optional
- Guacamole optional
- Taco Sauce optional
- Take one of the flour tortillas and carefully rip it into quarters, you will use these pieces when assembling the crunch wrap.
- Place a scoop of the cooked ground beef in the middle of the flour tortilla, leaving plenty of room around the sides to fold the tortilla in.
- Next, drizzle a little salsa con queso over the ground beef.
- Spread a dollop of sour cream on the tostada shell before adding that on top of the ground beef and queso.
- Add some shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, and shredded Monterey Jack cheese on top of the tostada shell.
- Take one-quarter of the ripped flour tortilla and place it over all of the toppings.
- Fold in the outer edges of the large tortilla, pleating the edges as you go.
- Carefully transfer to the skillet and cook over medium-low heat until lightly browned before flipping and cooking the other side until each side is browned.
- Repeat steps 1-8 for each of the remaining crunch wraps.
- Serve with your favorite toppings (sour cream, guacamole, taco sauce, etc)
Leave a Review!
We LOVE hearing from you! Submit your question or comment here.
Your email address will not be published.
1 thought on “Homemade Crunchwrap Supreme”
Love these crunchwraps! Definitely try it out!