You are going to love this apple butter cake. Moist and delicious, this is a fantastic apple dessert cake. The perfect cake to make during the fall or anytime you are craving apple cake.
Make your own slow cooker salted caramel apple butter to use in this recipe for even richer flavor! There is nothing like knowing you’ve made a delicious cake from scratch for your family to enjoy.
Apple Butter Cake Recipe
Apple cake is perfect for the fall. Whether you just crave apples, or you have taken the family on an apple picking adventure, this cake is a great way to enjoy an easy dessert that brings the flavors of the season. Personally, I love how easy this recipe is to make in big batches so I can share with all of my friends and family.
It is no secret that I love apples and I love apple desserts. While most people think about apple desserts during the fall, I will eat the same apple desserts all year long. I love making Air Fryer Apple Fries, Apple Blondies, and Apple Pie Trail Mix. These are all great for that sweet snack craving, or even to pack in lunch boxes as a surprise for kids!
Of course, I can’t talk about apples without mentioning one of my favorite apple desserts, this Caramel Apple Cheesecake Bars Recipe. So much amazing flavor that is rich and easy to make!
Can I add fresh apples to this dessert cake?
Of course, you can! They do add a bit of moisture to the recipe, so you may need to adjust the baking time a bit. I love the texture a few diced fresh apples add to a cake!
When it comes to an apple dessert cake, you want to make sure you are using apples that are good for baking. You want apples that stand up well buStart by preheating your oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 9*13 cake pan by greasing the pan and adding parchment paper.
t also get soft. If you want the cake to be a sweet cake with tart apples, you can use honey crisps and granny smith apples. If you want the sweetness of the apples to shine you can use gala apples or fuji.
If you went apple picking and need a use for those leftover apples, try my easy and delicious tutorial for How to Make Applesauce in the Slow Cooker.
Can I freeze cake like this recipe?
If you want to freeze a cake, it is very simple to do. Freezing a cake is great when you won’t finish the cake before it spoils or you want to make a cake ahead and then store it in the freezer for later.
Depending on why you are freezing the cake, you can freeze the cake whole, or you can cut the cake into pieces, like individual serving sizes, so you can take out a few pieces when the cake craving hits. Just remember, you don’t want to add the frosting to the cake if you are freezing it. That tends to not thaw as well later down the road.
To freeze the cake, wrap it well in plastic and then put in a freezer bag that has been labeled and dated.
Ingredients You Will Need:
- white sugar and brown sugar
- apple butter
- vanilla extract
- baking soda
- apple pie seasoning
- Cream Cheese Frosting
How to make Apple Butter Cake
When making any recipe, I start by gathering all of my ingredients and measuring them for the recipe. This helps me make sure I have everything I need before I begin and end up having to go out for ingredients halfway through the process.
Always prepare your baking dish well with nonstick spray, greasing and flouring, or adding a parchment paper liner. Use what works best for you and is your preferred method.
For this recipe, you will start with blending sugar and butter together until it is light and fluffy. Then you will add more wet ingredients before mixing in sifted dry ingredients. You want the batter to be just mixed – but not overly mixed for best texture.
Once the batter is ready, you will pour into your prepared cake pan to bake as directed.
If you want to add frosting, simply follow our excellent cream cheese icing recipe in the printable recipe below!
Apple Butter Cake
- 2/3 cup butter
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups apple butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon to taste
- 1 teaspoon apple pie seasoning to taste
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 cups powdered icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Milk or cream if desired
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Grease and line a 9″ x 13″ cake pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the butter and sugars with an electric mixer. Beat for 2 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add apple butter and vanilla extract, beating until combined.
- In a separate medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and apple pie seasoning.
- Add half of the dry mixture to the apple butter mixture, incorporate thoroughly, then incorporate the remaining half until just combined.
- Fold mixture into the prepared cake pan.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes, until an inserted toothpick or cake tester comes out clean.
- If making the optional frosting, beat together the cream cheese, butter and icing sugar for 2 minutes until completely smooth. Add vanilla and milk if desired to thin out the frosting.
- Spread the vanilla cream cheese frosting on the apple butter cake.