These Southern Lima Beans (aka Butter Beans) are a Cracker Barrel Copycat recipe seasoned with chicken bouillon, garlic, Cajun seasoning, onion powder, sugar, and black pepper.
Cracker Barrel Lima Beans
This side dish is an exact copy of Cracker Barrels’ own recipe. It is one of my favorite and most flavorful ways to enjoy them. They are sweet, savory, and smokey! Lima Beans are always on my plate at Cracker Barrel and with a blend of seasonings like this, you won’t be able to get enough!
Key Ingredients You’ll Need
Lima Beans: I use a bag of frozen baby ones for this recipe.
Seasonings: I like to flavor this recipe with chicken bouillon, liquid smoke, minced garlic, Cajun seasoning, onion powder, garlic salt, and black pepper.
Sugar: This is important so that the beans are a little sweet. When combined with the smokey flavor, it is absolutely delicious.
How To Make Lima Beans
Step 1. Add the water, beans, bouillon cube, liquid smoke, garlic, cajun seasoning, onion powder, garlic salt, sugar, and black pepper into a medium pot with a lid. Cook the ingredients on medium-high heat until it comes to a boil. Combine the ingredients and place the lid on top.
Step 2. Turn the heat down and allow the ingredients to simmer for about 20 minutes covered until tender. Serve and enjoy!
What To Serve With Lima Beans?
You have a variety of dishes that pair well with the recipe. It goes well with all types of meat like chicken, beef, pork, turkey, etc. You can serve it with salads, bread, rice, zucchini, squash, and more. I could honestly eat a whole plate of these by themselves.
Tips & Tricks
- Cracker Barrel uses baby lima beans, but you can use large frozen ones. They are called Ford hook lima beans.
- I like to add liquid smoke for more flavor, but you can take it out, if you don’t have it or substitute with a dash of smoked paprika.
- Sometimes ill add some crispy bacon or ham into the beans for an even smokier flavor.
- If you want a bit of heat, you can add cayenne.
- Place any leftovers in an airtight container for the best storage method. The leftovers will keep for up to 3 days.
More Copycat Recipes:
- Coca-Cola Cake (Cracker Barrel)
- Orange Julius Copycat Recipe
- Starbucks Chocolate Cake Pops (Copycat Recipe)
- Chick Fil A Frosted Lemonade (Copycat)
Lima Beans (Cracker Barrel Copycat)
- 1 cup water
- 1 16 oz. bag lima beans frozen, baby
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- ½ tsp liquid smoke optional
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp cajun seasoning
- 1/2 tsp onion powder or dried minced onion
- ½ tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- In a medium pot with a lid add the water, lima beans, bouillon cube, liquid smoke, garlic, cajun seasoning, onion powder, garlic salt, sugar, and black pepper.
- Over medium-high heat bring everything to a boil and stir to help melt the bouillon cube.
- Cover and reduce heat to low.
- Let simmer covered for 20 minutes or until tender.