The name of this recipe, Salted Caramel Apple Butter, tells you everything you need to know about it. This will be your new fave.
As far as I’m concerned, you can’t have too many recipes that have apples as the main ingredient. Not kidding. If you gave me 10 bushels of apples, I’d find a way to use every single one. (Except the ones with worm holes!)
I’d definitely make Snickers Apple Salad. Have you tried it? If not, you must. It’s easy and such a good, quick recipe for a get-together. For sure Mason Jar Lid Mini Apple Pies is another. They’re so cute, it’s almost ridiculous!
Salted Caramel Apple Butter
I’m always surprised at how many people have never tried apple butter. Have you? If not, you don’t know what you’re missing.
Think of it as applesauce that’s thick and rich and smooth and super flavorful.
We use regular apple butter on toast and biscuits. But this particular recipe? I have to say that Salted Caramel Apple Butter kicks it up a notch. Maybe 10 notches, now that I think of it.
Serving Salted Caramel Apple Butter
The next time you’re planning any sort of dessert bar, a few pretty glass containers of this stuff and you open up a whole new way to think about dessert.
I suggest chunks of plain pound cake to spread it on. You might even want to toast some.
You should also try some plain scones, and what about some churros? Oh my gosh, y’all. Doesn’t that sound amazing?
This is also great to put in Jars for gifts. We used 4 oz glass jars with lids.
The caramel sauce is everything.
Wait until you taste this! Warm, homemade caramel sauce is (in my opinion) the twist in this recipe that makes it exceptionally good.
Made with maple syrup, brown sugar, and unsalted butter, it makes these little pots of apple gold good to the last spoonful.
Want to pick your own apples?
If it’s apple picking time where you are, but you aren’t sure where to go, this may help. Visit 29 Best Apple Picking Farms and Orchards Across the Country. It’s a great resource.
I am sure this apple butter can easily be preserved and canned using the hot water bath method, though I have no tried this yet myself.
Salted Caramel Apple Butter
Apple Butter Ingredients:
- 3 lbs Gala apples peeled, cored and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 C apple juice 100% unsweetened juice
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1/2 tsp all spice
Apple Butter Directions:
- Prep the slow cooker with a coat of cooking spray.
- Add the apples, apple juice, and all of the spices in the slow cooker.
- Put on the lid.
- Turn on high cooking for an hour.
- Turn off the cooker.
- Add a third of the stewed apple mixture to the food processor or use a immersion blender. Continue to blend until the apples are smooth.
- Repeat the process until all of the stewed apples are blended.
- Pour the mixture back in the in the slow cooker.
- Turn the slow cooker on low and continue to cook for 6-8 hours. (The apple mixture will be about half of what it was.) Set aside.
Caramel Sauce Directions:
- Add the maple syrup, butter, and brown sugar in the skillet and cook on medium to high heat.
- Begin to whisk the butter, syrup, and brown sugar continuing until the mixture has thicken and is bubbly.
- Continue whisking while adding the salt and heavy cream. (1-2 minutes) Remove from the heat.
- Slowly stir in caramel sauce to the apple mixture.
- Set aside to allow to cool.
- Scoop into 4 oz lidded jars.