Chocolate Mint Brownies are delicious homemade fudge brownies layered with creamy mint frosting and topped with easy chocolate ganache. This heavenly combo is perfect for parties or gathers and always gets rave reviews!
Chocolate Mint Brownies
The combination of fudgy chocolate brownies topped with creamy mint frosting and finished off with a decadent layer of ganache is straight out delicious!
Ingredients You Will Need:
- unsweetened baking chocolate
- granulated sugar
- vanilla extract
- baking powder
- powdered sugar
- peppermint extract
- green food coloring (optional)
- semi-sweet chocolate chips
- heavy cream
How To Make Mint Chocolate Brownies
Chocolate Brownies – This homemade brownie recipe alone is absolutely fantastic. They’re moist and fudge-y – exactly what a brownie should be. Add the unsweetened bakers chocolate squares and butter to a microwave safe bowl and melt. Set aside to cool. Mix the eggs, sugar and vanilla together in another mixing bowl. Slowly stir in the (partially cooled) melted chocolate. Whisk the flour and baking powder together. Add it to the mixture and stir just until combined. Pour the batter into a greased 9×13” baking pan. Bake for 20-30 minutes. The brownies will harden/set up more as they cool.
Mint Frosting – once the brownies are completely cooled off completely, frost them with a simple mint frosting. I add 4 drops of green food coloring to give the frosting a very mint green color, but feel free to leave the mint frosting layer white if you prefer. After frosting the batch of brownies, make sure you set the whole thing in the refrigerator so the frosting can set. This makes the cutting easier and clean.
This frosting recipe is also perfect for cakes and cupcakes – you may want to add a little more milk or water if you don’t want it quite so stiff.
Chocolate Ganache – you will heat the heavy cream and butter in a small sauce pan until melted. Then pour over the chocolate chips and stir in the peppermint extract.
- You can speed up the process by using a box chocolate brownie mix. We prefer this homemade version, but store bought will work as well and save you some time.
- You can also melt 1/2 cup butter and 1 cup of chocolate chips for the top chocolate layer if you don’t have heavy cream on hand.
Other Brownie Recipes You Will Love:
Chocolate Mint Brownies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9×13'' inch pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add the butter and the unsweetened chocolate (chopped into chunks) and place together in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on low power in 30 second intervals, stirring in between, until melted. Set aside to cool, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, granulated sugar, and vanilla. Slowly add the melted chocolate, while mixing. In a separate small bowl whisk together the flour and baking powder. Stir the flour mixture into the chocolate batter, just until combined. Don't over-mix.
- Pour batter into greased pan and bake for 20-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool.
- Mix the butter until nice and fluffy. Add the remaining ingredients into the mixing bowl and mix until nice and creamy.
- Spread over the cooled brownies. Place in the refrigerator while preparing the ganache.
- Heat the cream and butter until just barely simmering. Pour over the chocolate chips and stir until smooth and glossy. Stir in the mint extract.
- Spread the ganache evenly over the mint layer. Refrigerate for an hour or so until the chocolate layer has set.
- Cut into squares and serve. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.