This is the Best Ever Cowboy Caviar Recipe! Sometimes called Texas caviar, this recipe makes a flavorful side dish for healthy dinners or for picnics. It can be used as a dip with chips or eaten as is. packed full of healthy ingredients, this dish has such an amazing taste and is filling.
Make this recipe to go with Buffalo Chicken Roll Ups.
Best Ever Cowboy Caviar Recipe
Cowboy caviar is such an amazing dish. Many people will give you a funny look when they hear it if they have never had it before. They want to know what kind of caviar is from Texas. While this is only caviar in name only, the flavor is phenomenal and is always a hit.
Is Cowboy Caviar a Good Weight Watchers Food?
Most of the ingredients are very healthy and this makes it a good Weight Watchers food. However, there is oil in this recipe and that can bring the point count up. One option is to reduce the amount of oil to give the recipe less points. Another option is to use fat free Italian dressing. This will have less points than the oil and vinegar mixture.
Why is it Called Cowboy Caviar?
This recipe was made in Texas, the home of the cowboys, and I do not mean the football team. Caviar, the fish egg kind, is made of tiny nuggets and while this recipe features no fish, the beans and vegetables in the recipe create a tiny nugget like look.
- Olive oil
- White wine vinegar
- Garlic powder
- Roma tomatoes
- Black eyed peas
- Black beans
- Sweet corn
- Red onion
- Green bell pepper
How to Make Easy Cowboy Caviar
In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, sugar, lime juice, white wine vinegar, garlic powder, and salt.
Next add the corn, red onion, green bell pepper, and jalapeno.
Add the black beans, black-eyed peas, and Roma tomatoes carefully.
If adding cilantro, do so now. Chill and serve.
COWBOY CAVIAR RECIPE
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/8 cup sugar
- 1 lime juiced
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 roma tomatoes seeded and diced
- 1 15 oz black eyed peas drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups sweet corn
- 1/2 cup red onion diced
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper diced
- 1 jalapeno diced
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped optional
- In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, sugar, lime juice, white wine vinegar, 1/4 tsp garlic powder and salt.
- Stir in the corn, red onion, green bell pepper and jalapeno.
- Gently stir in the black beans, black eyed peas, and roma tomatoes.
- Optionally: stir in in cilantro. Cover and chill until ready to serve.